Panel filter for a tdi?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by speedy1, Jun 21, 2007.

1. speedy1 Forum Member

Guys, are there any issues with putting any performance panel filters on a mk4 tdi. ie don't get this one cos its oily etc.....

2. lufbramatt Forum Member

ive know a few guys running the pipercross panel filters on passat TDI's with no probs, theyre fine when new just have to be careful when re-oiling them that you dont put too much back on. The oil is meant to get sucked off the filter and can coat the filaments on the MAF meter and make it go wrong . . . lots of differing opinions about this tho.

3. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

pipercross is recommended as it has NO oil on it therefore wont screw up the maf.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

so they do a specific non-oil one for the mk4s? the one i have on mine came oiled (it said, dont oil it, it already has oil) and it came with an oil spray for when you clean it

5. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

nope, with pipercross you get the filter and thats it. every few thousand miles all thats needed is to hoover all the dust and crap thats been picked up, easy!

speedy1- is your airbox standard?

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive got a pipercross (cone) and it came with oil and was pre-oiled lol

bobby t 16v has a pipercross panel filter, hell be able to confirm

7. Supercharged Forum Member

BMC Induction kit is a good one to go for, I didn't realise how important air was to a TDI until I fitted one...

As for the oil issue I just clean the insert under a hot tap every 5k miles, seems to keep it clean and not bothered re-oiling it yet... I suppose I should be able to buy the insert new if I want to replace (coming up to 75k miles)

8. speedy1 Forum Member

Completely standard airbox, with a paper filter. Not chipped either.

9. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

you cant really go wrong with a pipercross panel filter then. dont expect much from them however.

10. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I got a Green panel filter on the recommendation of the guys that Custom Code mapped my Bora (JBS) and I've had no problems, I did have a K & N induction kit for a while but it was sh*te, made the car run rough as fook and screwed up my MPG [xx(]

11. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Just taken the K&N kit that came with my 8v off and replaced it with a pipercross cone. Its bigger in size, sounds better, and the car seems to idle a lot better as a result of fitting it.

I have a pipercross panel filter in my 16v (which sounds great with the drilled airbox).

Both can be cleaned, and oiled. You tend to get the free "cleaning" kit with the cone filters as they will be open to engine bay elements. Panel filters don't come with the kit, because you are using them within the confines of your airbox, and simply washing them should be enough...

You can re-oil them if you want, but I've always gone with hot water and drying at room temp.

12. Seraph Banned

the only issue involved is that its a waste of money - put it towards a remap instead.

13. paul_c Forum Member

This is a wind up surely - there is no gain in using a panel filter on a diesel, right?

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

why not?

15. paul_c Forum Member

Because of the way a diesel operates. It draws in an excess of air on each stroke, and only injects as much fuel as needed for the particular throttle position and engine speed. So, in mild tuning, you'd increase the fuel (by fitting a chip) and you might go from 'excess' air to 'enough' air. If you simply replaced the panel filter, you'd not increase fuelling (unlike a petrol car, where the quantity of air is measured and the fuel delivery adjusted) and thus it would not give a performance gain.

Granted, it may be necessary on higher power diesels, but for mild tuning, it would offer no (immediate) benefit.

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

one thing i found in the past with a panel filter in a diesel engine was the reduction (and on the A4s, the elimination) of turbo lag.

it hardly unleashed tons of power (when does it ever do that?) but made the throttle more responsive due to less turbo lag and also reduced the amount which the power tailed off after 3400 ish rpm.

so well worth doing... IME

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

as for the whole air/fuel thing... the air is definately metered on the vag tdis with the air flow meter

18. Supercharged Forum Member

Yep - agree with the above, I didn't think so either until I tried it but it does make a difference...

I'm having to clean mine every 5k becuase it sucks up so much *****...

19. Seraph Banned

The power of the mind is an amazing thing;)

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

have you actually done it before? like most of the things you post about on here, i bet this is another one which youve not actually done.