Part-worn tyres

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by GT, Apr 20, 2004.

1. GT

GT Forum Member

I have been offered 'some' cheap but top brand part-worns with lots of tread ( 6mm+ )

What is the general view on these?

2. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

They probably didn`t do the last owner much good when he wrapped it round a tree after losing it.

3. GT

GT Forum Member

They are taken off of european cars because they have to be changed every so many miles. Then the old ones are just 'taken away' ;)

I am talking Pirelli, Hankook etc

4. Nev93

Nev93 Forum Member

I bought a set of part worn tyres that came from a 'European car' ..... Turned out there was a flat spot, where the previous owner had locked up, prior to wrapping it round Lamppost/tree/car etc.. There was a bulge in the sidewall as well.

When I took it back the bloke just said ''thats how they were when u bought them''.

You can get good value decent tyres these days anyway, i paid 115 for 4 tyres fitted and balanced last month.. just dont go to Kwit Fit.. most expensive people around IMO. Local dealers get special deals on certain types of tyres each month. Its just a case of ringing round. I Managed to get a set of Pirellis Dragos (F+B) 18 months ago for less than 120..

5. jake Forum Member

take a good look at the tyres before fitting them. Check inside the tread for signs of repairs and rough patches running around the in bands which could indicate if its been run while flat. Check the sidewall for scrubbed writing (run flat or heavy cornering) and check all the way around the tread for even wear and make up yourmind on that. We used to use a lot of part worn and they were all fine, try running metric rims and paying full price....

6. Madbloke Forum Member

Luck of the draw I suppose -- I recently sold 2 part worn 205/40/17 on ebay with roughly 800 miles use on em.

They tyres were mint, no punctures, no scrubbing etc at all and the bloke who received em was well chuffed

Least with ebay you can leave negative feedback

7. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

i got a brand spanking new continental on a sebring alloy for 15, seems good, just make sure you check them properly first as one of the other part worn tyres ive had, had a puncture repair in a bit of a dodgy place and didnt last long...