Parts enquiries

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by Adder, Oct 28, 2023.

1. Adder Forum Member

Afternoon folks,
    Should there be a cover along the bottom of the windscreen that covers the wiper motor etc ? I can’t make mind up wether their should or should not also, mine has a blank missing on the dash at the side of the headlamp switch.

Has anyone got a blank or knows where I can buy one please ?

regards

Adder IMG_0288.jpeg IMG_0289.jpeg

2. watercooled Forum Member

No cover ,mines not got one and never seen them before ,only the small heater grill one which you have.
    The bonnet covers the motor but the mounting bracket gets a bit rusty,or atleast mine was , cleaned up and painted now .
    Pulled my blanking cap but it has no part number on it ,its a Passat (b3 ?) dash so expect a search will bring one up.
    Any luck finding your oil leak ?.
    Cheers.

3. Adder Forum Member

oh I see, it just looks a bit empty that’s all , I did a search and this came up . Is the one I’m after ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14487919...brand=Volkswagen&_trksid=p4429486.c101224.m-1

as for the oil leak no I’m afraid, I have had a look and it is quite a heavy leak ,couple of drops per minute I’d say . I have removed the cam belt cover and the right hand rear of the engine is wet though with oil . I can see oil through the cam pulley hole which suggests cam oil seal or could be the cam cover it’s self. The car is low mileage and my fear is head gasket failure now that’s its run anyway, I’ve been in touch with guy I’ve just bought it from and he says he’s going to look into it so I’ll have to see .

thanks for the reply

adder

4. watercooled Forum Member

Ok appears that is the correct but hunt around that price is mental ,go to a breaker and get one if any close to you .
    May just be a bad valve cover gasket which is fairly common if not replaced @ some stage,many don't replace the cam seal as it isn't usually in valve cover kit and normally is ok but but can leak .
    If the coolant looks ok and has been changed on a regular basis you will be good ,headgaskets aren't an issue with these motors generally if coolant has been changed when needed.
    More pics will help,cheers .

5. Adder Forum Member

The thing is with hunting round is your time , your right in saying the price is mental but I reckon you could easily loose the best part of a day for what ? 20 quid ? The other thing is that folks that have these parts also know it:(

back to the oil leak , the car has been stood for sixteen years so coolant changes probably not that said I think it’s the cam cover as I have seen oil down the front of the engine as well also , all around the sump . I have taken a few pics they’re not the best tbh as it was tricky trying to hold the light a wrestle the iPad . You can just make the oil at 6 o’clock through the cam pulley , I also think the engine is naturally a tad lower to the left as you look at the car so the oil is just finding the low spot. Let me know your thoughts please

regards

adder

IMG_0290.jpeg IMG_0291.jpeg IMG_0292.jpeg IMG_0293.jpeg IMG_0294.jpeg

6. watercooled Forum Member

All looks like a bad rocker cover gasket to me ,over time the rubber becomes hard and it looses ability to seal...most likely never been changed if low mileage car,
    I see you already have the belt cover and other parts off so a bit less to do when you change it ,looks like a 9a 2.0 (?) make sure you order the valve cover kit for what ever motor yours is as there is are differances with other 16V's in the gasket and the rocker covers.
    Cambelt looks good but if it is really old I would change it unless you have history from past owner,appears he didn't disclose the leak which has been happening for some time ,just saying .
    TBO I don't care what you pay for the switch cover blank ,it's your money !!,only trying to help jeez ?.

7. Adder Forum Member

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what many do is get the passat cover 3A2955128, just come back in stock from VW classis looks like. I see someone mention it rubs the bonnet though so maybe leave it. saw another post about using the mk2 golf scuttle cover as well, though those are not as cheap as they used to be :lol:

9. Adder Forum Member

Thank you Jonny , I’ll do little more digging then , it just looks wrong to me but I’m not familiar with vw

their is a thread on Corrado.net but I can’t access it , I’ve also seen a smooth one piece item but I like the oe look

cheers

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  10. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Adder likes this.
  11. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks for the reply you are all good, a 30 second search found the switch cover on Amazon UK @ 11.49 pounds ,search for using "VW Passat B3 dashboard switch blank " or search using part number 357957087A .
    Motor is designed to fall to the left , thats the way they are ,I had to replace all my mounts cause they were mush ,my motor was rocking back and forward and another bonus was the shifting improved a fair amount ,win win really.
    After looking @ your pics I noticed the crank pulley capscrews have been replaced which proves the belt has been changed ,one less thing for you to do so thats good.
    Fire away with questions as I have a lot of experience with Golfs and with this model cause I'am into year 2 + yrs of a full resto including engine swap etc ,etc, I expect you will have less issues as my car wasn't exactly great when I started ,bought it with heart not head lol .
    The issues you may have will likely be due to its low mileage , parts degrading from lack of use , so in effect be prepared for that which I think you are .
    Cheers.

Adder likes this.
  12. Adder Forum Member

these are very cool I like them a lot but I think I will have the traditional 52mm round gauges once I have settled into the car ,

cheers

13. Adder Forum Member

thank you for your advice I really appreciate it , the car is being picked up this weekend and going back to be inspected, I have also mentioned that the exhaust is totally shot again, I think it’s from being stood for so many years and to take a look at the drivers seat bushings

regards

14. Adder Forum Member

Hello folks, happy new year

just a little up date for any who’s interested, ( it’s very quite in here ) , Ive actually had the car back for a number of weeks now. The oil leak turned out to be head gasket failure which the garage has now been sorted. I’ve still not been anywhere where in it due to other projects and poor wether so hopefully it will all be good when the nice wether returns.

cheers

15. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Head gasket..... atleast you have it sorted. A little warm weather may get us all back working on the cars

16. Adder Forum Member

Warm wether ! That’s not going to be this week .i have noticed the daylight has got a little longer at least

17. Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez New Member

Hello.

Mine seems to have one.

Hello.

Mine has one, so they must exist.

IMG-20240118-WA0014.jpg IMG-20231227-WA0000.jpg

18. Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez New Member

If it's of interest to you I can take better pictures. Just advise me.

19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the question was about the Corrado ;)

20. Adder Forum Member

As mentioned it’s not the same as mine. I initially thought it was because yours is LHD but as Jonny has pointed out it’s the wrong car Cheers for taking the time in any case