Passat B4 electric mirrors compatible with Mk2???

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Rustbuster, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Hi volks,
    While contemplating options on my mk2 electric mirror retro fit I’m wondering if anyone has insight as to whether these brand new but aftermarket Passat mirrors on eBay could contain all block connectors, wiring and motor actuator assembly that could be stripped out and fitted into a Mk2 mirror housing. As I understand it, if they were genuine VW the innards would be a straight swap but not sure if it’ll all be different given they are aftermarket. Be a great price to acquire all these brand new bits if it would work?.? Any thoughts?..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18524514...JlaMOUATKa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Connectors look the same in the picture don’t they? However, if they are aftermarket the inside may well be different, using more modern bits. Is it worth a punt at £42 ? Probably. You’d be doing lots of people a favour by finding out [:D]

3. Rustbuster

I’m thinking you’re right. Got to be worth a punt. I’m thinking that the wiring in the new mirror has to be the same as the original or they wouldn’t work when pugged into the existing vehicle loom. That said, the principle of the single motor (blue and black wires) and the solenoid (white and brown wires) has to be how this jobby operates. Must be to work with the adjuster switch installed in the car. I’ll keep you posted…

PhilRyder likes this.
  4. Rustbuster

I’ve ordered one. Should be here next week so I’ll report back then. It’s made by TYC which is a Dutch company. IKU, who are also Dutch make the genuine VW motor plate so I’m hoping (perhaps foolishly) that this one I’ve ordered, not only has compatible innards, but, may even be a genuine IKU unit.[:?:]

PhilRyder likes this.
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes the B4 motors are the same as MK2/corrado/b3/e30 so they should work, assuming the motors are made the same fitment as original and not specific to the aftermarket mirror housing. I'd assume the manufacturer would copy the vag design though, then they can also sell the motor on its own

6. Rustbuster

Yeah, I thinking same, not worth a manufacturer tooling up to make a pattern on an almost obsolete product. That’s why I’m hoping it’ll be same as the original. ‘Have been wrong in the past though. Fingers crossed!