Passat B5.5 security- Can it be opened with a box of electronic wizardry?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Benjo, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Benjo Forum Member

Hi, When I got in my car this morning I realised someone else had been in there over night & taken my mp3 player, cassette tape adapter thing, & Raybans. The car is a 2001 Passat TDi estate, & was locked. There ar eno signs of forced entry, & according to the police another car in my close was broken into in the same manner over night.
    Can anyone explain how this could be done? Aside from the loss, I'm not too happy that my car is unlockable even when I think it's secure [8(]

2. Chrisrpal Events Team

There are several ways a thief can gain entry into your car with out your keys or with out you knowing your keys have gone.

Firstly was your car actually locked? I.E. they use a jammer machine to jam your key fob from locking your car, if you are one of those people that click the close door/arm alarm button and don't check the alarm is on then it makes you think your car is locked when it actually isn't.

Secondly they use a device that copies your key code frequency, new cars have anti grab devices inside the main brains of alarm so it helps prevent a theif coping your key code frequency.

Thirdly if your keys are left near you letter box inside the house, they can fish them out with a magnet or hook and gain entry.

Lastly if you took your car for a service at a local garage recently, they might be a dodgy garage and copy your key fob making a salve copy then unlocking your car at night.

You can't always stop a theif gaining entry into your car but you can really try and stop them from stealing your car.

There is a warning on the govement website regarding car crime, as also herd on the radio recently.

3. Benjo Forum Member

The police came & fingerprinted some bits inside my car yesterday & found nothing. Interestingly, the officer lady said that they've had quite a few similar break-ins recently, all being VWs.

Car was definitely locked, keys were in the pocket of my jeans in a crumpled heap on the floor of my bedroom.

4. Chrisrpal Events Team

Well all I can think of is someone has either copied your keyfob code using vagcom or a grab device. Theives are always one step ahead in security.

You might be better off parking your car under a street lamp as that can prevent theives trying to get in. My mate has a merc AMG and he has CCTV installed with it aimed directly onto the car.

I had a new burglar alarm installed into my house on Saturday last week, on sunday left to go to Bromley Pageant in my MK2 golf at 7:30 am and my house alarm went off at 8:00 am same morning. I have set the alarm to txt me if the house alarm goes off, it txt'd saying back door switch activated. When I got home there was paint missing on the outside of my door, looks like someone was watching us leave the house and tried to get in the house, thankfully had a new alarm installed the day before as the old didn't work.

I would recommend a GSM wireless alarm with txt alert, they are amazing!! Not just that you can arm disarm the alarm using the key fob provided (or control panel if you wish with key pad) or your mobile phone.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012