Passat loss of power

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by OxfordGTI, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

erm. i did mine years ago, i used a good wd40 type spray that i had at the time. with the hoses, you could maybe get new ones (make sure you mark which ones go to what... ive still got the diagram drawn on the wall of my garage in essex haha)

the crud comes from the breather which joins the intake system just after the turbo. doesnt seem the brightest of ideas....

2. OxfordGTI Forum Member

Right I changed the ignition switch last night and no go, car only really seems to start when it's being jumped started. Got it running last night by starting from my MK2 and the RAC got it started from a jump pack. Do these diesel take a lot of power to start? The battery seemed to be turning the car over ok. Got the car running then left it for about 1/2 hr came back switched it of the back on and nothing would this have been enough time to charge it. Very strange, I got the N75 out anyway you can insure this is actually working as it seems to be a sealed electronic part. When it was runnoing I took it for a drive and still the same power loss problem Thanks All

3. OxfordGTI Forum Member

Anyone help please :- )

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

they do take a lot of juice to start due to the high compression (IRO 20:1)

the fact that its turning over ok is strange. are you sure your heater plugs are ok? i think there should be about 8 of them on those engines.

if theyre not heating up properly, it will hard to get the diesel to burn.

not sure exactly how to check those. on old fords you could get them out and clean up the tips which would prolong their lives for a few more months

5. Seraph Banned

in that case, its not a PD engine from what i can see, so dont bother with any n75 - it doesnt have one.

why did you change the starting switch(it cant be an ignition swtch on a diesel!)?

did the AA test the battery?

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

so what would the module be with the 3 vac hoses going to it that he found? my old 90bhp engine had one, the replacement part had n75 in the part number from what i can remember.

7. Seraph Banned

wouldnt have thought the part no actually includes the component identifier - they tend to be two different things - could be a coincedent

akaik, the n75 works specifically in conjunction with variable vane units, e.g. vtn17 ect, and these are found on the pd engines.

either way, i think theres more going on with this passat than a turbo prob.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  8. OxfordGTI Forum Member

Switch

The switch did not click back automatically so I replaced it, the RAC guy did not test the battery, cld this cause the starting problems? I assume the battery would not effect the running ? James

9. Seraph Banned

nope

you need more information really, otherwise guessing will get you nowhere

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

but it will effect starting if the glow plugs are not heating up properly

11. OxfordGTI Forum Member

How long running shld the battery take to charge if strong alternator and good battery ?

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

why not charge it with a charger overnight? when a diesel is running, there is very little electrical drain, so a low battery wouldnt make the biggest difference.

10-30 min drive should do, but you ought to charge it really

13. OxfordGTI Forum Member

Hey All Took the car to the garage, they think it's a pump issue, if is totalled looking at 650 plus vat plus labour. It's a Bosch EDC 0460 part no pump. Anyone got any experiance of removing these units and replacing them. I wanna get it off myself then send it for refurbishment and see what happens any advice or help/ experiance with these would be great thanks all

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

do you know how they came to that conclusion? i think every one of my A4s went into limp at least once in the time i had them (about 4-5 separate tdis) but none were pump problems, that doesnt sound like one of the more common faults.

15. OxfordGTI Forum Member

Hey
    Long story 3 weeks and 350 miles ago my wife filled the car with petrol. did not start it called the rac and had the tank drained. Car all seemed good then started having these probs, garage called me up and told me the car had petrol in I told them what had happened. They guy has run the car from a seperate pure diesel source and still has the problem. They have run a laptop diagnostic and no faults. How can the pump be tested ? Appreciate yr reply James

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

hmmm well, diesel is oily as you yknow, it acts as a lube for the pump. if you run petrol through a diesel engine, apart from other damage you end up with, the pumps can die because of the lack of lube.

but you say it was never started right?

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ps petrol floats on top of diesel, hence even if you did run it, youd have to run the tank down to get to the petrol

18. OxfordGTI Forum Member

Hey Matt
    The car was never started or run with petrol in, vehicle went and had the tank drained. The I ran the car and it was all fine I worry they did not drain it and it's started to come through the system. If it is the pump is it a ticky change ?

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

not sure on that, never had to do that on one of mine.