Passat SE TDi 110 Engine Problem

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by VRSteve, Jul 6, 2007.

1. VRSteve Forum Member

ive just bought the above car but i have a problem when i accelarate over 70mph. the car jumps into limp mode and i have no power at all, just enough to keep it moving.

If i stop and turn the car off and on again the fault is cleared and the car will accelerate normally upto 70 where it would do the same again.

Is this turbo??? over boosting and the ECU cutting it out? or would it be 1 of the control valves in the vacumn line???

car has done 269,000 with full VW service history. its a 1997 on a P.

cheers for your help in advance.

2. Supercharged Forum Member

Could be a few things - you need to get VAGCOM on it so see what fault it is...

3. VRSteve Forum Member

VAGCOM says sporadic air pressure control in intake manifold ......

im thinkin leaking air hose to intercooler or split pipe or blocked cat????

4. Seraph Banned

[:s]
    I'm glad you're not a mechanic

Don't guess! - get a mechanic to make the diagnosis, otherwise you could end up wasting money!

5. VRSteve Forum Member

funny thats the 3 things the mechanic at VW told me to check. ta for the kick in the nuts tho

6. Seraph Banned

Common, you're not going to let us believe your feelings are hurt!

This vag mechanic - still working there? - he's given very vague remedies, which someone in the trade should know better.

If he has looked thus far, why isn't he finishing the job? You're unlikely to get much joy here, after all, it's not predominantly a mk4 site.

7. VRSteve Forum Member

that'll be a VW mechanic working at a VW dealer. i popped in on lunch and they read the fault codes for me, gave me the printout and i asked what it could be. they said it could be the turbo (variable vains covered in carbon), but cud be something trivial like a split vacumn hose, the clamp on the intercooler hose loose, the cat blocked causing the system to over boost and drop into limp mode.

and they are doing no more now coz they are fully booked until the 17th of july.

lol no ul have to do better to hurt my feelings, i just felt for a moment like i was on a saxo forum ;) :lol:

8. Supercharged Forum Member

LOL - I think it's Seraph thats gone into 'limp' mode...

9. Seraph Banned

I hope we're not on a saxo forum, otherwise I've been seriously misled!

I just can't quite understand why he's given you these three (in essence, guesses) when he hasn't made the diagnosis properly. Maybe they just work differently in Vag. Been interested to see the link between the cat and the dtc too.

Limp mode me? Not for a few years yet i hope!

10. VRSteve Forum Member

have you not seen the new Saxo SE TDi ;) awesome bit of kit

i agree i was a tad miffed at how vague his diagnosis was but as i didnt get charged for having the codes read i cudnt really complain!!

Any Ideas tho??? if i get charged 72 quid to be told i have a hole in my big pipe im gonna be fuming [:x]

would this be a blocked cat? or the internals collapsed? i cant see how else it would affect it.

11. jasonmc Forum Member

my mate has the exact same car,and the exact same prob,after weeks of fannxxg about hes decided to get a new turbo(theirs loads of play in the internals of it)but were still lookin for one,
    if you get any luck with your problem could you let me know so i can point him in the right direction, ?