passat tdi buying advice....

Discussion in 'Passat' started by bubba_2_k, Jun 17, 2009.

1. bubba_2_k Forum Member

hi guys im looking to buy a tdi passat (b5), just wanting to no what i should look out for, it will either be the 115 or 130 which engine is better, not to worried bout bhp/torque as can aways get them mapped. are the engine prone to any high mailage problems as most for sale have 100,00+

cheers

B

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

mileage is not a problem on the pd engine. if serviced correctly with pd oil then there is no reason for them not to go over 200k.

i have heard of taxis doing over 350k

i have a 130 tdi and the engine is smooth, powerful and torquey. mine has done 125k and is sweet as a nut

3. Jay2

Jay2 New Member

Hello mate, had a 99 B5 TDi for a few weeks, swapped from a Corrado G60.

Still learning all the faults but the Passat Forum good place for specific things to look out for, main one for the B5 is that the main control box for all the electrical gubbins is in the passenger footwell, and the scuttle panel can fill with water if the drain gaps get bunged up, leading to it leaking through into the car and, yep, you guessed it, straight to the passenger footwell!

The 115 and 130 TDi's are the B5.5 models, which was basically an update, face lift, from the B5. These are easier to remap than the 90 and 110 B5 models.

Things I've learnt so far are, get one with a spare fob key, new ones 150 from Stealers and need to be coded in, make sure its had a new timing belt recently, the whole front end has to come off to put a new one on! :o

Good points, plenty of room and not too many trips to the petrol pump. :thumbup: