Passat TDi Highline 130 b5.5

Discussion in 'Passat' started by chrismc, Sep 7, 2010.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

We fancy an 04/05 tdi 115/130 highline estate as our family wheels due to our imminent new arrival!

What's the general concensus on them? So far they seem very well specced but hold their values with 100k+ on them..

I'm not too worried about mileage tbh, but did they still have the rubbish plastic impeller water pump as per early mk4 Golfs?

Any opinions or reviews would be great

Cheers

Chris

2. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

we have an 03 tdi in se spec.

it's a brilliant car, reliable, comfy, economical, spacious and has lots of toys.

if it has been looked after then it should provide you with lots of trouble free motoring

3. mclannahan

mclannahan Forum Member

I have a 53. Great car and has been very reliable and still returns 50+mpg on most trips. Only small negative is that I don't find the seats that supportive?

4. Mifkif New Member

I would say steer clear of the B6's as they seem to have way more issues than the B5/5.5 platform. As you say they did come with the plastic impeller on the water pump, but most people would have had it changed to the metal one when the cam belt is done.

Watch for signs of water in the cabin. The plenum drains usually get blocked and the water builds up and sloshes around until it makes it's way into the cabin. usually through a failed pollen filter seal. This delivers the water straight down the heater channels and into the rear footwell. This the can cause a problem with the CCM as it is located under the front passenger seat. If the CCM has been effected and not dealt with the electrical gremlins can be a right pain the rear!

On the wagon, sometimes the rear wash pipe can fracture, and whilst you are wondering why there is no water coming out, it is handily filling your boot lid with water. This can effect the locking mech. Not a large amount of money to deal with though. Lock mech is around 20 from the stealers, and the solenoid is about the same I think.

Other than that they seem to soldier on.

Good luck with the hunt.

Matt