Passats, talk to me...

Discussion in 'Passat' started by Jaundice, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

I have to find a new job, which most likely means travelling, which means the E30 is most likely going to have to go, mainly due to its insatiable thirst for petrol, but also because of its complete impracticality now I have a child.[:^(]

So Ive been looking at passats to replace it with, but I have very little experience of them, other than my mates old 2.9 30V synchro gas guzzler. What I'd like to know is:

1. How much Passat can I get for 2k?
    2. Whats the 1.8T like on fuel, and to drive?
    3. Whats the best compromise between performance & economy? and
    4. what should I be looking out for when buying?

I'll be honest, I don't really want a Passat, and I definitely don't want rid of the three series, but the BMW is so thirsty & impractical, I can't justify keeping it any longer, so I need convincing a sensible car is the right way to go...

2. degsgti1 Forum Member

Love your e30, wouldn't mind that myself!
    I had a audi 1.8t a4 and found it very numb(163bhp)
    Not too sure what you can get for 2k but I would guess a higher miler 2002 model
    must be a diesel, you'd be surprised how punchy a 110 or 130 bhp motor is, factor in the low tax bracket and happy days :)

3. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

I will not be buying a diesel, I despise them.

I know what you're saying though.

4. degsgti1 Forum Member

Don't get me wrong, the audi was perfectly screwed together and a really effortless drive but the engine was just so boring!
    That used to do mid 30's mpg so it depends what kind of figures your after
    I sold it for a golf v5;)

5. Spacemonkey Forum Member

I have a Passat 18t and want to swap it or sell it so i can get a bigger engine car. The passat is a nice drive, mint on the motorways and you can chuck it about a bit but it is very boring.

As for MPG you are talking about 25 around the doors and ive had up to 38 on the m/way. You can get a map for about 300 that will "wake it up" a bit but never had a go of a car with this done so cant say if its any good.

6. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Its looking like my new job is on the same science park as my current one, so the E30 will be staying [:D] as I won't be incresaing my mileage now.

I have to say I'm well pleased, I do love my old chrome turd and was not looking forward to moping round in a family barge

7. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

Family barge, passats are abig, but more gangsta pimp i'd say, you've missed out![8D]