"PB" engine... manifolds

Discussion in '8-valve' started by SciroccoHillis, Nov 6, 2008.

1. SciroccoHillis New Member

what i have... MK2 G reg (1989) scirocco 1.8 EX carb

I have just purchased a 1991 golf GTI MK2 engine with the engine code "PB" and i have a few problems.

i have not dismantled the engine as of yet to rebuild it, however from looking at it i can see several problems.

i am wanting to restore the settings i have as i am running a 32/36 DFEV carb and i blew my old engine up. so i was planning on taking the inlet manifold from my old engine so i can use my carb on this one. However there seems to be a manifold difference (without dismantling yet to prove it) in that the exhaust manifold and downpipe are a single piece. (there is no evidence of this being an aftermarket part )

i am assuming therefore that the difference in the manifolding for the exhaust is carried over to the inlet also, so therefore assuming my inlet doesnt fit.

the engine is in my friends garage and i need to move it to dismantle it, and i dont want to move it and dismantle it to then find i have an issue then be in a big rush to get the part.

is there an issue or did they just do away with the downpipe on the later models and that is what i am seeing? or is it because it is a 1991 model, have they given it a mk3 head since production had probably started for the mk3 at this point, and mk2 production stopped...?

if i need a manifold to fit any idea where i can get one?

cheers lads...this car is giving me nothing but greif lol sigh.

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the exhaust manifold is likely to be different, you should have a single pipe from the manifold, where the gti should have two pipes from the manifold. the GTI setup should have a 4 to 2 cast iron manifold that connect to a 2 to 1 downpipe, the connection is by 6 studs in the cast section. if that make sense

should look like this from the underneath
    [​IMG]

3. SciroccoHillis New Member

ah that is fine then. so the actual ports on the head are the same size and the same distance apart as the older k-jet GTI's?

the reason for asking is because i know for certain that the parts i have fit a K jet GTi head, but was unsure about a digifant.

the manifold i have on my new engine seems to be 4-2 to 2-1 it just looks oddly shaped (but i might be wrong as i say) i cant remember what was originally on my carb model because i changed it to GTi setup the day i got it when i put a scorpion exhaust system in.

if there is no difference in the manifolds (inlet and exhaust) to fit the late (1991) digifant head, then i am safe, thats basically all i need to know.

my scirocco was basically a G Reg early Gti anyway with a carb on it instead of injection so thats why i was enquiring about the manifold situation an making sure they didnt change it along with the injection system in the later models.

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the maniold will boh bolt straight on! however you wont have the coolant channel to warm the inlet manifold up.

If you fitting the digi head then you will need to block the injector holes up.

early GTI's had a different type of manifold and down pipe that looks similar to the driver setup, its pants, the later setup is much better

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

If you're running a webber then theres no need for the coolant chanel anyway, its only to work all the 2e2 carb gubbins. The carb icing issues tend happen in the the carb rather than the inlet manifold so that shouldnt cause a problem either.

The engine is otherwise physically identical to the one in the car atm, in fact if you just swapped the head over you would have exactly the same engine in the rocco, as the bottom end is exactly the same. There are differences inside the head in terms of the port shapes plus the cam, but inlet & zaust pattern is identical, just the extra coolant channel hole that the drunkard mentioned :thumbup:

6. SciroccoHillis New Member

Thats me on my head de-coke now stripped and rebuilt everything over the weekend there, hardly slept. This is my first VW (usually ford) so hoping for the best.

hone was still on the bore in remarkable condition, which for a grubby old 100k miler is pretty good. water jacket has blue-tinted the alu on the head , and the hyd. lifters were dead as a dodo, they were like doorbells, head in fact was totally neglected (as usual)

thankfully the cam has not been polished too bad so it must have been driven lightly :), inlet fits, however there was an exhaust manifold issue as it doesn't agree with the bulkhead (downpipe), so i had to refer to my original manifold and downpipe. apparently sciroccos are designed around the mk1 golf engine bay, thus different from mk2s in that respect. had to use my old engine mounts also as the mounting was different when i fitted the short block.

anyway i will post a few of my pics when finished and you can rate it for a newbie VW fanatic :)

(ps: where is the mark on the face of the head that tells you where the cut limit is for scimming it?, or is it just a measurement...if so what is the measurement?)

Cheers.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep you need is a 6 bolt dual manifold from a MK1 GTI or later Scirrocco/Cabby with injection. The Scirrocco is basically a MK1 Golf as you say :)
    As you have found the bottom ends on these cars are pretty resilliant to abuse and will last, 100miles to a VW is nothing! You might even have reserected those tappets with an ATF in the oil treatment plus some decent 10w40 and a VW filter. Though since its all apart might as well replace em!

Heres a link to the Online Bentley, specifically heres a link to the cylinder head min size