PD TDi into Mk2 rocco......been done?

Discussion in 'Scirocco' started by seanr68, Nov 3, 2011.

1. seanr68 Forum Member

Has anyone attempted/succeeded in converting a Mk2 Scirocco to PD TDi spec?
    I know a few have done the early 1.9 tdi's engine codes: 1Z, ALZ...etc....but i would like a 130 or 150 bhp engine to start with.
    Got an urge to do this conversion so any pointers to get me going in the right direction would be great.

2. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

3. seanr68 Forum Member

Thanks for that mr b.....thats what i'd love to have. All i need now is a technical boffin/fabricating genius/electrical genius.
    Wonder if i'm biting off more than i can chew? lol

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

It is a lot of work as a mk2 rocco has a mk1 chassis, took me ages far more work than in a mk2 golf!

5. seanr68 Forum Member

Yeah, i'd heard its a far more complex, but do-able. Are there any links to build threads you know of? Also can i use the rocco dash, and fusebox? Or is it better getting a bashed but complete mk4 golf and retro fitting the full wiring?
    I'm going to get myself a little knock around like i did when i stuck the ABF into the golf, that way times not going to be ab issue.
    :thumbup:

6. danster Forum Addict

Having converted my old Mk2 Rocco to an IDI turbo diesel (AAZ). My thoughts are that the added weight is an issue. The standard strut top bearings are not that great, even without the added weight of the diesel lump.
    And also the lack of any OEM power steering options for mk1 platform vehicles meant I would not convert another one.

It depends on what you want and how much work you want to do.
    I looked at fitting the later mk4 strut top bearings (same as mk3 but smaller diameter) into a mk1 housing as a modification to cope with the added weight.

7. seanr68 Forum Member

Thats the kind of info i need. You can get the electric power steering from a corsa to fit...i believe? The added weight had crossed my mind. The PD engines will probably weigh a bit more than the AAZ i reckon, so thats really quite a big issue. Last thing i want is for the extra weight to compromise the handling, especially as its pretty decent as it is at the moment.

8. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

there not that much in between the weights of the different engines once everything else it bolted on!
    with the right suspension setting, close to OEM the steering not hugley different, but noticable [:s]:lol:

Corsa kit made a huge differnce, but still been needed bit more work to get in and get fitted (re calibrated mine today!)

wiring I'd say is doable either way, but having the clocks is so much better with the feed back, keeping the Immobliser

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2