PD TDi or non PD TDi

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Dubnutter, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Dubnutter Forum Member

Evening guys, after a rather disappointing spate of bmw ownership, and missing my rapid mk3 golf tdi....I'm back in vag land.

I'm in the market for a new vw once the bmw is sold and I'm thinking a passat is going to be ideal.

But my dilemma is, pd or non pd tdi?????

Any opinions or thoughts welcome to help me decide, especially as its going to get engine/ecu work. I have had a 1z, and that was fantastic, but are pd's better...

Cheers

Aron:thumbup:

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Well this is one of those age old questions which I have my personally view from working with various VW's over the years and owning a few of them!

Newer Common rail not for me yet, still to be converted having only dealt with problimatic cars which all needed silly amount of parts to fix
    PD's between the mk5 & 4 the 5's could be better only from being tuned differently and having couple fuel saving sratigies and more comprehensive ECU's
    Having owned a mk4 TDI (PD) and a mk1 with a mk4 TDI (VEP) both tuneble more parts availble VEP, depends how much you really want to do with it!

So still not sure used both versions mk4 engine in dailys theres almost nil different with the VEP just having 150 turbo & nozzles as both have the same sort of control from the ECU

What sort of year Passat you looking at?

3. Dubnutter Forum Member

Well either a passat or a mk4 golf really. B5 or b5.5 not too fussed.

I'm more inclined towards VE as opposed to pd just because be is what I know best, and nozzles turbo and map seem to net similar bhp to pd engines.

I'm getting a bit older for modding, but I'm always driven by the need to squeeze what I can from an engine.

Still undecided....lol

4. TrackCab16v Forum Member

i run a alh tdi 90 brake running 2 ecus , the one ecu is a sdi remapped and chipped lovely to drive the othe ecu is standard turbo unit , both with 120 brake remapped and emobilizers removed . sdi ecu nice strong even delivery of power,the other is dam mental had to put a vr6 heavy duty clutch in as it ate the standard clutch , its in a 2001 cordoba estate , use it every day for work .mrs got a standard pd 130 mk4 estate , feels laggier and not so crisp ,. pd engine feels a bit smoother and more refined .

5. Dubnutter Forum Member

Hmmm im def more inclined towards vep, less to go wrong, generaly believed as bullet proof and can achieve similar bhp and mpg for slightly more cost than a pd. what is the reason behind using an sdi ecu????

6. m1keh Forum Member

I would probably buy a VP pump car too if i was buying something of that age..... Cheaper to modify than a PD too...

7. Dubnutter Forum Member

Hi mike, yeah in thinking vep, less to go wrong. Plus you can work your magic on it again, im guessing a vnt powered vep is alot better than a non vnt when mapped?

8. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

yes i prefer non PD having had both but i do a lot of constant speed driving, my current C4 2.5 TDI AEL has just done car 412K miles and top and middle seal were leaking on the pump , got it out and had it rebuilt and runs sweet as a nut now , never ever had the injectors out yet ! in fact it still on original clutch and head gasket , and uses 1/3 litre of oil per 10k miles, last glow plugs did 170k and battery managed 180k , had one tyre on the rear last 70k

In the car i had before this the PD engine lasted 125k before it turned into blue smoke machine that was a 2.0 16v TDI , i hear the 130bhp 8v is less prone to cylinder head problems

9. Dubnutter Forum Member

A friendly garage (i work for ecp so they owe me a favour) have offered me a 51 plate passat tdi saloon. Its a 130bhp AVF 6 speed. Full history, 120k. Other than cambelt etc, anything i need to be aware of??????

Good engine to tune????

10. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Lower arms.

11. Dubnutter Forum Member

It's ok I'm more focused on the engine side. Cheers for the heads up though. Are the engines any good?

12. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

VE Pump TDI :thumbup:

Then you can run it on Alternative Fuel 90p per litre, which leaves more money in your pocket for a bit of Tunage ;)

13. Dubnutter Forum Member

Lol i ran the mk3 on veg, not doing so many miles now so not too bothered about that. Putting more development into a true automated meth/lpg controller for more mpg/clean power ;)

14. Brookster

i've just bought a zone 1 lpg/diesel kit ;)

15. Dubnutter Forum Member

Is it smart controlled or just based on boost?

16. Brookster

Just boost , my engine has no ECU its all mechanical injection

17. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Quote of the month?

Looks like it's a VE engine it is then!!

18. Dubnutter Forum Member

Nah 130 pd crispy. Avf higher torque 6 speed. Could be fun!

19. Brookster

We've just fitted a AHF 1.9TDI in a mates T4 with a M-TDI Injection pump (no ECU) , the install is so simple but with big tuning potential and still great MPG :thumbup:

[​IMG]

20. Dubnutter Forum Member

Well iv just bought the passat. Drives nice but doesnt have the urge my mk3 had. Remap time! Its done 150k not 120 like i thought. But i got it cheap so im happy.