PD130 with A/C radiator change

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Alfa_Delta, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Alfa_Delta Forum Member

I've got to change the radiator on my 1.9 TDI PD130 (MY2004 Bora) which is fitted with Air Con. When I did the rad on the Mk3 I did manage to do it without having to disconnect the A/C rad by enlarging one slot in the front panel.

What I'm wondering is, before I start, does the A/C make this job awkward like on the Mk3 or does it not get in the way?

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It going to be a bit of a faff that's for sure
    I had most of the front off mine to change the alternator

The front panel does pull forward once it's unbolted
    You my be able to split the aircon rad off so you can get at the other
    I have one sat in my garage I could take some pictures later

3. K7aus

K7aus Paid Member Paid Member

AC rad can be unbolted from the radiator core

Did this 3 weeks ago and it took me half a day

Bumper Off
    Lights out
    Unbolt slam panel do not remove
    Drain all hose and disconnect wiring at multi plugs
    Remove fan cowling, you may have to pull slam panel out a bit to remove cowling BUT do not take off until you support both rads
    Unscrew AC rad from main rad (4 screws located on the slam panel)
    I now removed slam panel whilst supporting both rads with 5ltr oil containers
    Now split rad from AC rad
    left AC rad in place supported and connected
    Stripped mounting rubbers from Rad and moved over hose connections and temp sensor
    now Rebuild in reverse

Not by me but helped me out

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/60369-golf-mk4-19-tdi-fitting-a-new-radiator/

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  4. K7aus

And i bought 2 new hose rubber o rings as precaution (less than a pound each)

New Hella Rad from ECP was 34 btw

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  5. Alfa_Delta Forum Member

Thanks for the info, it's a job I've been putting off if I'm honest. Had the new rad sitting in the shed a while now but have just been keeping on top of the coolant level. I've got to re-polish the haze off the headlights plus I've got an Oettinger kit to fit (and a remarkably clean passenger side front wing) so intend to do it all at the same time. MOT time soon so I'd best bite the bullet and get on with it.

I especially liked your advice about using two 5l oil tubs. I have a pair of Quantum Longlife III containers that I'll use for this (always best staying genuine VAG isn't it) :)

6. K7aus

I was the same... Started leaking 4 months ago and i'd just top up every month, then i need topping up every week so i knew it was getting worse.

The only issue i had was the Torx screws that hold the rads to each other and the cowling has started to corrode so getting decent purchase in the torx head that full if rust was a nightmare but plenty of WD40 soaked in the area helped.

Also the 4nr rad mounting brackets may need to be drilled out to be removed, i didnt want to force them as there rubber mounted so i drilled the old radiator to release the mounts.

Picture of mounts to see how delicate they are

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1517...3395220626:pla-181480815666&adtype=pla&crdt=0