Petrol in Diesel :-(

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by mexicorich, Aug 16, 2007.

1. mexicorich Forum Member

Help!
    Have gone and filled my 130 TDI Mk4 Ibiza with Petrol
    Towed home
    Anyone know the best place to get to on the car to disconnect/drain/pump the fuel out from please?

2. MrDubmeister Forum Member

Northampton in a village in the middle of nowhere
    Disconnect it from the injector rail and pump it out using the priming bellow thats connected to the diesel line. Tis what we did on a diesel megane at work

3. 87 UMN

87 UMN Forum Member

disconnect it before the fuel filter as you will have diesel in filter or do as MR DUBMEISTER says and then just replace filter after

4. mk1. Forum Junkie

me mate done it on his mk4[:s] I just removed the sender unit from under the back carpet and drained it out with a leccy pump.

5. Supercharged Forum Member

You didn't start it I take it? should be ok then

Drain it fully and change the filter.

Best way to do this if the pump has not been contaminated is to suck it out the tank with a kit like Screwfix sell or a Pela pump - useful for oil changes too

Maybe take some out the fuel rail too after putting diesel in with the pump relay jumped, that way you will limit the chances of getting any petrol into the unit injectors...

6. mexicorich Forum Member

Yes I started it - was going to try and limp home thinking the petrol would float on top if I was ultra careful.

Right, for anyone who needs to know on a Mk4 Polo, Ibiza, Fabia.

The fuel lines easily come apart. They are clipped togetherand are designed to be unclipped, with a release button on the female side of the joints. There are joints just infront of the fuel tank that are idealto split with the back of the car lifted up and a container underneath.

I used the lift pump in the tank to pump the fuel out. Access gained under the back seat. Electrical connector has four conections. The two outer are the pump and the terminal fed by the brown wire is earth.

Connected 12V to the outer terminals and pumped all fuel out of the tank via the disconnected black 'feed' fuel line. Then reconnected the feed leaving the return disconneted. Put another gallon of diesel in the tank and again ran the lift pump to try and prime the pipes. Replaced the electrical connector and started the engine up letting it run at idle until the gallon of fuel had worked its way through and been pumped out of the still disconnected return fuel pipe.

Reconnected the return pipe, added a futher gallon of diesel and drove the car back to the filling station.

PD130 running like a dream again!

I first called the AA by the way. They could only offer to take the car to the nearest approved centre (actually the filling station I was at!) who were then going to charge me 200 for 15 mins work and fuel disposal!

7. oak8vgti Forum Member

that is exactly how i do it at work, 2 wires to the outside terminals on the pump and then feed it via a charger

pipe straight to drum and collect all the fuel, change the filter and bobs your uncle, done it 45 mins

8. majik-matt New Member

do it the old fasioned way remove the top of the tank (underback seats) insert a length of hose pipe and suck.., in past experances it is better to spit then swollow

9. damogti Forum Junkie

Whenever ive filled a Diesel with petrol ive just filled teh tank to the brim with Diesel so there is more Diesel than petrol and run the car.

Always worked for me! :)

10. judderi Forum Member

me too lol. Bit of a bugger if you fill full with petrol tho.