pieburg 2e2 carb issues not idling

Discussion in 'Scirocco' started by NJL1968, May 14, 2012.

1. NJL1968 New Member

Hi Guys,

I had a problem driving home tonight 1.8 GT2 1989, the car was ok to start with cold, after a short period maybe 3 minutes not fully warm, engine struggled to pull away, then running badly no power, eventually I pulled over revs went bouncing of zero and died. Restarted it managed to keep the revs up runnnig ok, but wont idle , so cuts every time the clutch goes in to stop.

Any ideas please, I am thinking pull down unit but does that effect this stage of warm up?

Cheers

Neil

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

3. NJL1968 New Member

Stoping and then reving it hard helped , I could pull away and drive but I have no idle when warm, revs drop to zero and stops. This one is not carb icing had that many times:o. Thanks for the sugestion though any other ideas please?

Going out to have another inspection now, so probably about to rain again!

Cheers

Neil

4. NJL1968 New Member

Hi John,
    It was not carb icing I have had that a few times though! Stopping for a while did not solve the problem, but when I restarted, I revved it hard and seem to clear the carb a little, so was able to pull away, but every time I stopped the revs would die 0rpm had to keep the revs up left foot brake etc!
    inspected the car later on the drive did the same thing ran fine until a littlewarmer then would not hold revs at idle.

All suggestions welcome thanks:)

Neil

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

A few possibilities to check. I doubt that the pulldown is involved in this problem. Might be if the problem was earlier in the warm up cycle. Easy enough to check/test though.

In no particular order...

Air leak: if you haven't already looked, go all round the carb, the airbox, the hose that leads off the manifold towards the brake servo, and the distributor, looking for cracked/loose/broken vac hoses. Carb mounting flange is another possibility for air leaks, so try rocking the carb around a bit (gently) while the engine's idling, see if you can hear any change in revs.

Distributor vac advance diaphragm: check the hosework to it as above. Then see what happens if you pull the vac hose off the dizzy while the engine is idling (before it's warmed up to the point that it won't). If it runs worse with hose off, that's good news.

Problem with overrun cutoff solenoid on the back of the carb could be another explanation. Check that there is 12V at its loom connection when ignition is on, engine not running.

A blocked idle jet would seem consistent with your observations. While the autochoke is doing its thing, the primary main jet will be supplementing the fuelling; but once it's finished it will be solely on the idle circuit, so a blockage would be critical.
    Lives under the tall tube next to the primary barrel. Remove that tube with a single Philips screw, then the idle jet assy beneath it with a *nicely fitting* flat screwdriver. Clean it thoroughly then replace.
    While you have the tall tube bit off, give that a clean as well, making sure that any holes or vertical slot on the side near the base of it aren't clogged up with grime. A new o-ring on the bottom of it may be required.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  6. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

As car is fine when first started from cold and then starts to play up as it warms this would suggest to me that it is something to do with the automatic choke unit on the carb.....from memory the auto choke on the 2E2 is a combination of bi-metallic element and also water heated but when the bi-metalic heater element fails it can cause issues such as this I believe.

7. NJL1968 New Member

Ok todays update, checked all the usual 2e2 issues all ok, checking puldown unit etc, tried spraying some carb cleaner in, that seem to work drove for 15mins seemed ok. Drove into work 3miles then felt it go bit lumpy when I didped the clutch engine went to die. On way home 1mile down road at first junction died restatrt then was ok again. So I bought some more carb cleaner , given it a good spray, and willl see if that helps.

Could it be a blocked jet?

Neil

8. MacColl Forum Member

Hows your filler neck for the fuel tank and for that matter the tank itself? Filler necks can have extensive inner rust. You might well know all this..

Contamination can get into the tank and the pick up can clog with debri and then fall away causing intermittent issues. Or simply make its way to the carb. Check the lowest part of your fuel filter for signs of rusty debri. I change these filters regularly and another not so common issue can be a corroded swirl pot.

A trick is to get a small fuel filter and cut away the clear outer casing and put that on the fuel pick up end in the tank acting as a filtered pick up. I can find pictures if you want.

Sorry if I have missed a point already made.

9. NJL1968 New Member

Hi MacColl,
    Thanks for that suggestion I was'nt awhere of that problem, I do try and change the fuel line filter fairly regularly, so I will check. If you have some photos of your pickup mod that would be great:) It was OK today but I am waiting for it to happen again due to drive a long distance this weekend so fingers crossed.

Thanks

Neil

10. MacColl Forum Member

Hello mate,

Sorry I only have that guide as part of another Clubs PDF publication. If you PM me an email address I can send you an attached file.