Pierburg 2e problem

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Shugged, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Shugged New Member

Hi All,

i have a mk2 golf driver 1600 that is having carb problems.

So it all started when my friend and i changed the dizzy cap and ht leads and somehow manged to knock out the timing, took it to someone who knows old school cars (my dad) and he manged to get it running fine. I then took it to Knockhill (to watch, not on the track) and when i arrived home it started cutting out again.

I decided to take the carb off and clean it and in doing so found a couple of worn vacuum pipes so i replaced them with some fuel hose which seemed to be the right size. The problem i have now is it's idling extremely high, i don't have a rev counter but i recon it must be around 3-4k rpm. when i took the carb off i did notice that the waxstat wasn't working, so my friend let me use his but it hasn't made any difference.

also i did do a test on the black vacuum thing on the front of the carb (sorry don't know what it's called) and that doesn't seem to be holding a vacuum, when i suck on the pipe i'm getting air and no action.

does anybody know what the problem could be ?

Cheers in advance!
    Shug.

2. Shugged New Member

also, when i turn the ignition off the engine over runs for anything up to 10 seconds.

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Sounds very much the same as this thread: http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?283211-Pierburg-Carb-Throttle-holding-itself-open
    Vacuum not making it onto on lower port of the 3-point unit. Check vacuum hoses against diagram in post #2 of that link. The ones connected together by that y-piece and coloured pink in the diagram are the suspects.
    The vacuum thing on the front you refer to is the pulldown unit. Won't be relevant to this issue, I don't think. May be worth trying to find a non-leaky one before next winter.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

5. Shugged New Member

thanks guys, i will have a read through and let you know how i get on.

Cheers.
    Shug.

6. Shugged New Member

hi guys, EZ_Pete was on the money!

i replaced all the vacuum pipes with fuel hose that is a fraction too big, so i took the carb off over lunch and zip tied all the vac pipes and it's idling as it should now. Thanks guys.

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie