Pierburg 2e2 1.6 jetta 1990 (stuck on choke but waxstat ok)

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Bruce Common, Aug 31, 2023.

1. Bruce Common New Member

Hi guys, awesome place for all things dub!
    This is my first post and have found it amazingly helpful in my pierburg problems. Unfortunately I have come across a new one and am hoping someone may be able to help enlighten me.

Essentially the original problem was that it would not hold a warm idle ( been sat for 5 years, ran fine on initial start up, choke, waxstat, idle, but became bad after running carb cleaner through ).
    So, removed carb, cleaned as best I could, cleaned jets etc and rebuilt ( new seal kit & gaskets ).
    Renewed vac lines and double checked arrangement.
    Refitted and started lovely….
    Only now, will not come off choke.
    Starts, revs high for a blip and then settles on choke and doesn’t come off.
    Have done all the checks I know of, mostly through posts off this site.
    I didn’t change any settings, sets points etc so am confused as to what it could be?
    Was fine aside from the previous idle issue.
    Any help, thoughts, ideas would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Bruce.

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

There's a gotcha involving the accelerator cable, I seem to remember. If carb is removed it's easy to not leave enough slack in the cable when refitting.

3. Bruce Common New Member

Thank you very much for that nugget of wisdom!
    I unattached the accelerator cable at the adjuster and slackened right off. Started the car and it ran through to warm idle lovely. I then set the accelerator cable while running at warm idle.
    Then a warm start which was fine, so I’m letting her cool for a couple hours now and try again and all being well my issue should be solved.
    So once again, many many thanks!