pierburg 2e2 removal

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by lord_sharpy, Dec 20, 2008.

1. lord_sharpy Forum Member

the rubber gasket/flange that sits between the inlet manifold and carb looks a bit tired/split on my sisters golf. any tips on removing the carb and changing this, i had a weber on my old mk1 and never dismantled a pierburg system.
    its a mk2 1.6 btw

cheers

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

10mm socket to undo 3 long M6 bolts visible on top surface of carb when airbox has been removed.

Disconnect any coolant/electrical/vacuum connections that you need to in order to get enough access to the flange fixing bolts, and the little alloy bendy-over bits that stop them coming undone. Obviously you'll want to keep this to a minimum.
    Maybe get an assistant to just lift the carb up an inch or so while you get in there and do the swap?

Edit: Actually, probably a good idea to take it further off than this, so you can give the mating faces on carb and manifold a good clean-up.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  3. lord_sharpy Forum Member

cheers for that, once ive removed the 3 long bolts to remove the carb, how many bolts is it to release the rubber flange from the inlet?

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

5. lord_sharpy Forum Member

doesn't sound too bad to do then, gunna change all the vac hoses as well while im at it. done the ones on the front.

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

:thumbup: Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

7. lord_sharpy Forum Member

all went to plan, apart from the rocker gasket which has decided to leak oil out at the back, thought id change it and now its worse!!

8. thegave Forum Member

did you go rubber? have a look for g60 rubber rocker cover gasket make sure you also get new rubber mounting studs apparently work better than cork.

9. lord_sharpy Forum Member

no got a cork one, il try a rubber one if it doesnt sort itself out