Pierburg Carb Throttle holding itself open

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by topnotch, May 22, 2016.

1. topnotch Forum Member

Hi,

I `ve just bought a golf 1.6 driver which the engine was running well and nice and smooth from cold and also when hot.

I recently renewed the brake pipe which runs behind the carb - before when i drove it into the garage the idle was nice and low, after i `d finished the work, started up and now the idle is way too high.

I thought i may have caught or knocked something behind the carb when threading the brake pipe through, but i cant` see anything obvious and all vac pipes appear to on and in place.

I have noticed though that the throttle cam which the throttle cable sits in is sticking open about 5-10mm short of the stop. I can push it back with a screwdriver and the idle goes back to normal, but then it springs back. It feels like i`m pushing it back against a spring or possibly a vaccum.

Is there anything obvious i can check? The carbs are a bit new to me! I've had a couple of the digifant gtis but never a carb driver.

Cheers, MIke

Here`s a pic of the cam i`m talking about -

[​IMG]

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

The throttle cable being pretty slack is absolutely normal, because other bits of the carb are holding the primary throttle open when the engine is switched off (in a good position for when it's switched on again).

The high idle is consistent with a vacuum hose disconnected from a thing called the 3-point unit. Borrowing a picture from rubjonny's legendary how-to thread on these carbs, the ones you need to check are the pink ones at the bottom of the image. The 3-point unit is the thing bottom right; it governs the idle speed at start-up and fully-warmed up, but if the vacuum signal isn't there at its lower port, it won't retract from the start-up position of a fairly open throttle. When warm this position gives an embarrassingly high idle of about 3k rpm.

2e2stage2.jpg

3. topnotch Forum Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - i should`ve replied earlier, but i did find the problem and it was indeed the vacuum hose had come off the 3 point unit you mention.

This did lead to an embarassingly high idle !

Running well now though !

Cheers, Mike

4. topnotch Forum Member

PS - These pierburg carbs look like the most complicated carb i`ve ever seen!

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Well done Mike. :)
    Complicated-looking, but mostly made up of simple, separate bits and pieces. It's just when they're all there together it looks like an explosion in a vac-pipe factory...