**PLEASE HELP**

Discussion in 'Engines' started by CJ Dubs, Jul 13, 2005.

1. CJ Dubs Forum Member

'ow do!

I have a 1989 1.6 MK2 Golf Driver. Since owning the car (for the past 6 and a half years) I have had to replace 4 CV joints! Once again I am begining to hear the tell tale 'knocking' sound...mainly when slowly pulling away. This is the first time it has done it since the car has been lowered by 40mm......and that mod was carried out approx 2 years ago. My question is......will fitting heavier duty drive shafts as found on GTI's or G60's make much difference? I have found a pair of G60 driveshafts from a 1990 car and have been informed that these are the same driveshafts used by a 16V - can someone confirm this? The part number on the smaller driveshaft is; 191 407 271 SX. Will these driveshafts actually mate to a 1.6 Driver gearbox?

Any help will be greatly appreciated......especially if you can suggest any other method of curing this problem without being so drastic as changing the driveshafts.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Chris.

2. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Have you been replacing them as a pair?

3. CJ Dubs Forum Member

No mate......just as and when they go. Should they be replaced as pairs then? Wouldn't have thought it would have made much differnce would it? I cannot for the life of me think whether it has always been inner or outer CV's but am sure it has been both on the near side and off side.

Cheers,
    Chris.