Please please please help

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by BurtieGTI, Mar 7, 2011.

1. BurtieGTI New Member

Hi people

I have a W (2000) plate polo gti 1600 16v and came out of work tonight and it didnt start (turned over fine just sounded like there was no spark)
    When I got home (after getting a lift) I looked back through the history of the car (having only had it 8 days) approx a year ago there was an intermitent starting issuse that the garage tried to solve and the faults reported on the ECU were ECM DISTRIBUTOR and a module (cant remember which one now as I am back at work and dont have the sheet with me)

would it be the ECM Distributor that is causing this? the garage that I brought it off are coming to take a look tomorrow as I told tham that as it has a warenty I want it fixed (they were happy to take a look but wanted me to take the car to them) I told them that if they did not come to me then I would take it to the main dealer ( its 200yards from where the car is now) Fingers crossed its an easy fix but in the mean time is it worth replaceing the ECM Distributor?

Rant over sorry for the spelling and puncuation they are not my strongest points?

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I`m taking a guess here, but sounds like it might be the ignition module otherwise known as a `hall sender`.

Where the previous fault was reported as `ECM Distributor`; this sounds like what a fault code reader would show, meaning the fault was within the ECU (ECM is the same thing) or it lay with a signal that`s read by the ECU. `Distributor` then identifies it as a fault with the signal coming from the distributor.

This would be the ignition module (usually mounted on or near the distributor). It`s what tells the ECU to advance or retard the ignition timing accordingly.

At about 75 it might not be something you`d want to change on a hunch, but at least it might give the garage a steer. :thumbup:

3. BurtieGTI New Member

Thanks for your reply StuMc.
    on the 3/6/2010 there were 3 fault codes stored for ECM DISTRIBUTOR and CONTROL MODULE, in the notes it says faults are sporadic?

on the 9/6/2009 only fault code was for control unit disabled sporadcic?

is it worth changing the ingnition module? the dealer i brought it from is coming out today with a code reader to see what the latest faults are?

going back a few years ago my mate had as RS turbo and that did the same thing stuck a new Dizzy on it and it was fine after that? the only thing that worries me about the polo is that there is sensors for this that and everyting else on the bleeding cars?

4. BurtieGTI New Member

ok the car has been on the diagnostic machine and the latest fault to come back is ECU Block itermitent?

any ideas people?

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Does your car actually have a (mechanical) distributor?
    I would have guessed that a 2000 model would probably have an all-electronic ignition system. Can you post a picture of your engine bay, particularly the bit that the non-spark-plug ends of the HT leads go to?

6. BurtieGTI New Member

it def don't have a dizz, its all electric, the bloke from the dealer thinks its a cam sensor but surely that would not let the car start at all as now it starts and dies within seconds?

7. BurtieGTI New Member

Spoke to an independant auto electrician last week and he said its either the pick up ring or the imobilser unit?

after more problems at the weekend they have finally collected the car and are going to fit a new pickup ring to the ignitioin barrel as they belive that this is to blame for the problems?

fingers crossed that this solves it other wise its a new imobliser unit?

8. BurtieGTI New Member

Sorry for the lack of response (been flat out arranging my wedding) the garage collected the car a out on a new pick up ring and the car is sorted! Now just needs an 80k service!