Plug in jumper??

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by CoRnBuRn, Dec 8, 2003.

1. CoRnBuRn Forum Member

Hi, my plug in jumper for the fog light is missing from the relay/fuse box. Trying to find one at the minute but can someone tell me what it does? Is it just a switch to the fogs turned on by the light switch? Can't find anything on the net about plug in jumpers.

cheers guys

Adam

2. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

a plug in jumper sounds like a good idea for winter

and mains supply socks would also be good methinks...

3. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

That`s a good idea.

4. CoRnBuRn Forum Member

:lol: :lol: Askin for that!
    Edited by: CoRnBuRn

5. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

6. The Other Simon Forum Member

Have a look in your Haynes manual. There is a nice cirucit diagram that shows the plug in jumper - and then show no details about what it actually does.

Yes you need one. And yes they are very cheap from your VW dealer. Just ask them.

Simon.

7. CoRnBuRn Forum Member

Yeah, Haynes manual was about as helpful as a kick in the teeth. When I asked my friendly local VAG dealer for one he went round the back. Good, I thought, maybe they've got one in. 5 minutes later he came back - "I've asked the three technicians out the back and none of us have ever heard of a plug in jumper - we need to know where it is". "Third from the right on the bottom row of relays in the fuse box" I told him. He fiddled with the computer - "Oh, we have a relay that SHOULD do the rear fog - 22 + vat"

Thanks but no thanks.

Does anyone know if this strange little pain in the arse thing runs front and rear or just rear? I obviously don't have much faith in my local garage's parts desk and after Simon said "very cheap" 22 + vat for something that MIGHT do er.... something with the rear fogs doesn't seem right.

Or if anyone catalogues VW part numbers in their heads for fun that'd be good too! ;)

Adam

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

i know that it needs to be removed and a relay put there when fiting front fogs..if thats any help..ive also got one lying around if you get stuck

9. The Other Simon Forum Member

Adam.

Too damn right. The jumper is a bent piece of metal (not a relay). Should cost a couple of quid.

You could make one yourself. Have a look in another car to see what pins it connects. I can't go and look cause my gf has the Golf.

Simon.

10. CoRnBuRn Forum Member

Cheers guys. Mine's a Mk3 16v so it has front fogs already. After all this does that mean I don't even need it and should have a relay there to do both?

i.e plug in jumper for rear fog only or relay on cars with front and back?

Sorry if i've wasted your time, i assumed there'd only be one thing that fitted the hole and Haynes only showed it as a jumper (although from memory I don't think the manual covers front fogs so that'd make sense)

It'll be a miracle if I ever get these bloody things working!!!

11. The Other Simon Forum Member

The things I do for this forum.

After much searching of ETKA:

PLUG BRIDGE FOR VEHICLES WITH FOG LAMPS AND REAR FOG LIGHT: 823 941 817 Ain relay location 10

There is no actual relay listed for location 10. So there's your part.

Simon

12. CoRnBuRn Forum Member

Simon, I can't thank you enough. You've saved me a huge amount of time (would have had to wait for a write off with front fogs to turn up in Stafford and hope they worked!) Can finally get them going now!!

[:D] [:D] [:D] Thanks again dude [:D] [:D] [:D]

Adam