Police laws changing re. public photography

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by Jamie_pyrite, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/28/police_photography_guidance/

That's not good..

Here's a bit of a debate I'll open on the subject - Do you ever feel awkward taking photos in public? What with the problems with peadophiles and terrorists these days, anyone taking a photo in a public place is open to be branded as one of these by a member of the public.

I know I really do - I mean, I'm quite shy as it is, but if say walking about in the centre of town I'll barely take any pictures due to feeling awkward like people are constantly judging me.

I had a situation in York once, when a little boy was playing in this puddle and it was a perfect opportunity, his parents were stood near him and I noticed they were foreign. I decided not to photograph the boy as explaining "no, I'm not a peadophile, I just want to take photos of your son as my hobby" would be a bit hard to foreigners!

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Oh dear, WTF is this all about?

Stinks.

3. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

4. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Yeah, it just means they will have the power to take film or even confiscate cameras!

It's all just a bit OTT if you ask me..

5. jApAn Forum Member

Does the government have nothing better to do?...

6. KieranC Forum Member

Does anyone else get the impression that the police force is out to protect itself more than the publict? IMO they are no longer a figure of trust in the community but one to be feared/avoided. Who is policing the police?

7. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Tragic state of affairs. Who has ever come across a Paedo - not me ever in almost my ??? years.

8. cockney chris

cockney chris Forum Member

The thing is that no-one knows what a peado looks like Susanah. It would be nice if they were all tattoo'd with a P on there foreheads but that is not to be. I work in a school and I know that one lives in the very road that the school is in. Another school in the area had one for years as a IT tech. He got jailed and after returned to his home - just across the street from the school no less. I'm of a similar age to you Susanah and my eyes are being opend on a daily basis.

9. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

I worked in the judicial system for a while and saw A LOT of them. Jokingly, there is a stereotypical "look" that you can brand alot of them with. I do agree that you just never know the real truth about someone though.

10. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Cockney, perhaps they should tattoo them (and cut their bits off). We are fairly fortunate round here. I worked for the police for a while and there was more incest than anything else. Horrible. The worst thing for many years locally was Huntley and Carr murdering the two little girls.

Here is a photo, with parents' permission, of little girl. She insisted on wearing her party frock! It's one of my favourites with the Big Kind Wolf and her walking off together across the fields. It is a shame though not being able to take the perfect photo just for the pleasure of photography.

[​IMG]

Should we have a bit of fun. How about posting photos of yourselves as children on here and give us all a good laugh. Anyone up for it??????

11. dubcheryl Forum Member

Me!! Way back when I was in Primary School, there was a peado who started taking pictures of the kids at lunch time, they had police patroling the school and everything!!

12. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

Recently a local man was trying to take some pictures of HIS child on an inflateable slide but one of the other pareants accused him of being a pedophile.

He tried explaining and showed his pics to prove he was inocent but still she accused. Police were called and he was cautioned, thankfully to be released without charge.

yet these same people happily allow their children to go trick or treating ("an agraphobic pedophiles wet dream" as I heard it put) and will usher their kids into solitary piano, dance, violin lessons etc without a second thought.

double standard... even so I still wont take pics of my nease or god daughter when I'm out with them unless I'm acompanied by the missus or another female family member/friend just in case.

what a thoroughly sad state of affairs :(