Polishers?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Mk2GolfBoy, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

I was thinking about buying an orbital polisher to get my car looking super nice and shiny. Was wondering if any of you guys had one which you could recommend for being good. I think I definately want an orbital polisher as from what I gather it has two motions which prevents heat building up and damaging the car. As it is just like the hand motion but of course with increased speed. So any recommendations lads and ladies?

Many thanks, Tom. :)

2. Guests Banned

you want a random orbital polisher, as an orbital polisher leaves round marks. then you would need a gmop for it. this is what they use in bodyshops, and the one i used to work at delt in brand new cars (scratches coming off transporters etc) and it made them look very very tidy.

ps dont do what i did and put a gmop head onto an angle grinder. burnt two large brown marks on the fiestas bonnets, and it never came out

3. Kingsley Forum Member

you dont really want a sealey mop, this is what i use for bringing life into paint and removing light scratches from laquer with a g3 or g6 compound...

if your car is looking a lill ruff then get some 200w/d paper go over the areas where its a lill untidy then mop the whole car...

The mop head also needs water to be added or it will get 2 hot and melt ur paint, and the wet and dry should only be used till u can see a small whitening appearing on the area u r concentrating on..

If i was u mate id pay someone a few bob and get it done coz if it goes wrong itl cost u a fair wedge

4. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

well I wasn't looking for a rotary mop with vented head and using g8 and g10 compounds and all that for paint renovation as such. I'm just lazy :lol: and was thinking I could get a polisher to t-cut the car with and then buff it off to a brilliant shine lol. Anyone know what I could use just to do that with. :lol:

5. LLOYD Forum Member

b&q do one for about twenty quid its their own brand one but to be really honest . it does a great job but you sweat just as much and it takes just as long as doing it by hand.

6. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

hmm but it looks better? ..... [:D]

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

you can do more harm than good with the wrong polisher or if you dont know what your doing

its super easy to go through the paint

we use a orbital sealey one at work ,and all the other body shops ive worked at did

8. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

Sorry if I'm not explaining this well, I'd do the t-cutting by hand, I just want a polisher to buff it off and then I would apply the polish by hand and once again I just want to be able to buff it off. Does that make a difference to the product I'm looking for?

9. Lee-GTi Forum Member

Just get a two handed polisher for B&Q or a car factor like, auto quip, kevin cooper, halfords!!! 15-20 quid there really good!! buy a few bonnets for it as well one of T-cut, one for polish then just wack-um in the wash and re use!! :lol:

10. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

we are talking bonnets as in the mop head things arn't we? not a few MK2 bonnets for when I screw up :lol: Do you have one Lee? impressive results?

11. Rodders Forum Member

I got one off Ebay for a tenner. Works fine.

12. LLOYD Forum Member

just go to b&q and you can buy the one i did for 20 quid now comes in huge bucket for washing car with a sponge and about 5 bonnets 1 app 2 terry and 2 wool and the finnish is good when you apply polish by hand like i do

13. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

and do they give you instructions? as in do I use the wool bonnet first or the terry bonnet?

14. Lee-GTi Forum Member

Yes i have one Tom and i was talking about polishing bonnes :lol:

15. pigbladder Forum Addict

the buffer would be of most use putting on the t cut...then buff off with a rag