Polo 2006 Gearbox / Clutch Problems

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by Richard Mk2, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Right guys, in need of some help. :thumbup:

A friend of the family owns a Vw Polo 1.2 (2006). Over the last week or so he's had trouble with it, relating to either the gearbox or the clutch.

Basically, when the clutch is pressed in, a loud whirling noise is present, but when its put in gear, the noise gets noticeably louder and shakes the car violently !

I'm thinking that the clutch has either gone or is near enough failed altogether ?

Also, has anyone changed a clutch on one of these engines ? I've offered to give it a go myself to help him out, but need to know if its an easy gearbox off and on job ?

Any help or info would be much appreciated.

Cheers. :thumbup:

2. Richard Mk2

Been doing some digging tonight, and a lot of the symptoms are pointing to the thrust bearing ?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

this would be my suspicion yeah, I would just put a new clutch on it while the box is off though. if its the type with an internal clutch slave cylinder I'd do that as well as sods law it'll break a week after you put it all back together!

4. Richard Mk2

That's true, thanks Jonny. :thumbup:

VW quoted him 400 just to look at it ! Which is why I stepped in and said I'll do it for him.

I'll try and find out if it does have an internal clutch slave cylinder and recommend we change this too.

Cheers.