Polo 6r gti owner

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by nonamecc79, Sep 21, 2013.

1. nonamecc79 New Member

Hello people, my name is Pratik and i've been the somewhat proud owner of a 2010 polo gti for the past 7 months. I say somewhat because i've already had to fork out 2500 for an engine rebuild when one of my spark plugs melted on me!!

The car is a bass model 5 door gti so no digital climate control or convenience pack. It also came with an rcd 310.

Mods so far:

Revo Stage 1 remap
    Pioneer avic-f940bt Headunit/satnav
    Boss Phantom 2500w monoblock amp
    Vibe Slick slr 15 1500w sub
    Rear 3 windows tinted 95%
    LED blue front and rear footwell lights

Looking to do:

Change spark plugs to ngk iridums (need a bit of advice)
    Miltek TBE
    Forge front mount intercooler
    Potentially looking to stage 2 map
    Respray wheels white, red, and black
    Carbon wrap any plastic bits on the exterior
    Lower it on coilovers
    Retrofit cruise control

So far i'm impressed with what the car is able to do performance wise. I haven't put it on a rolling road yet but i can tell its a LOT quicker than stock. And yet i can still get upto 50mpg out of it!!!!

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated!!

2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Hello and welcome to CGTI :)

Engine rebuild sounds like a pain in the wallet :cry: However, your mods and plans sound interesting. Let's see some pictures of your Polo soon.

3. Jude505uk New Member

Hi,

Congratulations on having such a bad ass car (i've got one too!) :)

Looked at the Revo 1 map recently, but can't afford the insurance just yet. Also read some things about the clutch struggling with the extra torque in many cases, had any problems? How many miles have you got on it?

Also, did you fit the head unit yourself? Was it difficult? Pics? :)

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Welcome on board

they are great cars, nice allround package

early ones had an issue with incorrect mixtures callusing very high cyclinder temps - OE fix was a re-map, given you've had the revo st1 all should of been sorted :thumbup:

head unit dead simple - should all be plug in & play - fitted Kenwood systems in the past without too much grief & no special tools

5. Jude505uk New Member

I'm keen to hear how the clutch handles the Revo map...? I had my clutch pack replaced last week (the known issue with the judderring when pulling away in first and second). It's all good now, but i'm hesitant to put anymore power on it

6. nonamecc79 New Member

I will try uploading some pictures in a bit. Feel free to go through my facebook though as its pretty much dedicated towards my cars and theres already a few pics on there: https://www.facebook.com/psavania

With a stage 1 I think the clutch is fine. However when you jar your foot to the floor when cruising in D5, 6, or 7, I find it does take a while for the car to get into the right gear i.e. D2 or 3. I don't normally use S mode so I cant really comment on that. When overtaking on A roads I'd recommend manually going into gear before accelerating.

I've been running Revo for about 3000 miles and so far I've only had the issue mentioned in the first post and high oil usage. I bought the car with 15k on the clock and it now has 23k.

I had the headunit done at Car Audio Security in Hayes so I cant say a lot about it. It took them about an hour to do though probably because they needed to find a good spot for the GPS antenna. They also "flush fitted" it so it looks like an OEM unit. Also, to get the steering wheel controls and mfd to work, I had to buy an extra cable.

7. nonamecc79 New Member

8. Jude505uk New Member

Nice man, that's very tidy. That head unit looks mint!

To be honest, i drive pretty everywhere in manual, unless i'm crawling in traffic! The gear box can be just that little bit too slow in D sometimes

9. nonamecc79 New Member

Thanks mate. This is the first automatic that I've ever driven and combined with the armrest it feels amazing!! A month after getting the Polo I got a 93' Supra N/A auto and the auto box in that is nowhere near as quick!!

I dont know if you've noticed but the manual mode uses a tad bit more petrol and when idling keeps the RPM slightly higher. As this is my everyday car I'm trying to keep running costs low. 125 tax + 40 - 50mpg is bang on perfect but I dont mind sacrificing it slowly. I'm aiming to do what Hurdy done to his 6r and maybe more.

Is there a dedicated project page for the Polo GTi or should I just start a thread in the Polo section??

Cheers

10. Jude505uk New Member

Yeah i have noticed that, i also find that when the gear stick gets pushed into Manual, i drive everywhere like a bloody lunatic. lol

Never use Sport mode either to be honest. If i fancy some spirited driving, it has to be manual. For getting around town and the rest of the time, it's in D.