polo gt, 1.6 block, will it go

Discussion in '8-valve' started by JONNY-ROTTEN., Sep 18, 2006.

1. JONNY-ROTTEN. Forum Member

i remember from a few years back, jeff seddon had a mk3 polo gt with a 1.6 bottom end out of a late polo 6n, am i correct and does it work. A friend has a mk2 polo gt and while i put a 2 ltr in my golf, we want to make the polo a fair bit quicker to.
    also will an old 1500 golf bottom end work?????
    polo gt is about an 86 model

2. Unknown Forum Junkie

there is a 1.6 version of the small block engine that was fitted to the 6n, in theory it should fit the Mk2 polo GT. It shoudl be the leaning forward variety. The 1.5 block is the old basic version of the big block type engine, the leany back variety, used in Mk1 golfs and Sciroccos unless we are talking about two differnt engines here? They wont fit a MK2 polo without a fabbricated subframe and custom parts/lots of welding to the bulkhead.

Interesting that its a MK2 GT as they werent officialy sold as such in this country they are only the same as the Couple S (MH engine and GTI like trim) but VW UK removed the badges and put S ones instead, so the GT was Europe only! There was even an extremly rare G40 Mk2 as well!

3. JONNY-ROTTEN. Forum Member

had a look at the block and it seems like it will go, and i have heard people talk about it before. i thought the 1.5 was a leany forward????
    avoiding fabrication is the idea we're hopin for

4. mk1-Gaz Forum Member

I have thought about the same thing as I have a mk3 (3f) engine in my mk1 driver.

i did a little research and i think the 1600 small blocks are taller, but would still fit. not 100% sure about this tho! also I think there are complications mixing heads and bottom ends as i thinks the later 1600 have the combustion chamber in the head like the very early 1300's. however the mid age engines (like 3f's and hk's) have flat heads. again, not 100% on this. sure there must be a way tho! you would have to be very wary mixing and matching tho.

the other downside is the small block is made into a 1600 by using a very long stroke (the bore is slightly larger than the 1300) so not likely to be as revvy. I think the power output of the 1600 is 75bhp the same as the mk3 gt. however a 1600 with gt cam and higher cr etc may be better?

do you know where the combustion chambers are on the mk2 gt engine?

5. Unknown Forum Junkie

Mk2 GT (coupe S in UK trim) had the MH, got a flat faced head.

6. JONNY-ROTTEN. Forum Member

so would the mk2 polo pistons fit if its just a longer stroke motor???, or could you use a later gt head????

7. mk1-Gaz Forum Member

no, most of the capacity increase is from a much longer stroke but it does have a slightly larger bore as well i believe.

i would have thought you could just put your inlet/ex manifolds straight onto the 1600? but it will be at the expense of your gt's cam and high CR (am i right in thinking the mk2 gt's were 11:1 and had a better cam?)

8. JONNY-ROTTEN. Forum Member

take it the cam won't go across????
    are the mountings for these engines the same can anyone tell me. We are really keen to do this, bit different and hopefully will make quite a capable car if we can pull it off

9. Unknown Forum Junkie

I have no real idea, but at a guess I'd bet a jam tart the cam wont swap. If it all fits and works well, you could always get cam from somehwere or yours re-ground by David Newman for some more go.

I cant answer the mounts question for you either but keep us informed of whats happpening, very interesting. :thumbup:

10. mk1-Gaz Forum Member

Mechanical and hydro cams are not interchangable. im guessing the mk2 gt engine is a mech head but ive never actually seen one. 1600 definately hydro. However a mk3 gt cam should fit the 1600.

as for engine mounts not sure but i would have thought you could tell by just looking. the only one i would have thought could be a problem is the offside one by the alternator?

11. Polo Classic Forum Member

You can use Mk II/III engine mounts and oilpan to fit a complete 1,6L ABU/AEA/AEE engine from a Polo 6N/Golf III 1,6L

My mate has done this in his mk II Polo Cab, although he uses the head from a 1,4L 16v AFH engine

12. mk1-Gaz Forum Member

i read somewhere that the only mount difference is the offside (alternator one). mk1 golfs 1/2/3 polos etc have 3 bolts here into the block in a triangle formation, apparently the 1600 block only has 2 of them? i guess this may be because its no longer used as an actual engine mount point, just to mount the alternator which causes less stress