Polo GT gearbox into 1.3

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Mk2GolfBoy, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

A friend on another forum was saying you could fit a Polo GT gearbox into a 1.3 would it be a good idea and could it be done?

2. Unknown Forum Junkie

into a mk2 1.3? Simple just take one out and put the other one in, check the codes against the ratios in the haynes/etka and see what effect it will have before you do it, they are a close ratio box arent they?

3. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

Yeah they are my mate said...

"5 gears, close ratio, hard wearing, great as a polo GT is a 1.3 with power so any mods wont affect the effectiveness/ shift etc of the gearbo (by that i mean the amount of revs between gears)!!!! need i say more [:D] !"

4. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

I wasn't sure if it would be a straight fit or whether it would be a good idea for performance wise? my 1990 Mk2 1.3 has 5 gears but I just checked and it is a 4+E whats that meant to mean? surely its a 5 speed unless my gear knob is lying to me :lol:

5. Unknown Forum Junkie

it is a 5 speed, 4+e was what they wrot on the gear lever on both 020 and 085 5 speed boxes that have a set of ratios choesn for economy rather than performance or even spacing. The E gear is about motorway speed at maximum torque so its cheap thats all.

6. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

Ahh right so do you think getting a polo GT box installed would be a good idea? I never know whether to ask VW what they think as they might be like what?!! you can't do that (even if you can) Insurance wouldn't increase too much I would imagine as "All gearbox's look the same to me, I never knew it wasn't standard"

7. Unknown Forum Junkie

get the code off the top and see what ratios it has, compare them to the ratios you have in your 4+E and plot them on a graph with revs along the bottom and road speed going up. From that you can see (when compared to a torque curve for your engine) what you can expect from it. The chances are that if it is closer ratios you will find it accellerates a bit better as you can keep the engine on the boil more, but it might be a little bit lower geared.

8. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

is there a program I can plot the graph with? I don't want it to be too low geared though as the economy is good in 5th but on the other hand the better acelleration would be good. [:s]

9. Unknown Forum Junkie

hmm dunno, I guess excel (or whatever its called) might work for that, I think it's what my g/f uses for statistic graphs etc.
    Have a look for gear calculators online. the easiest way is to get the mph per 100k rpm in top gear to see if your going to be revving like loonie on the m/way.

10. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

I might go on www.porka.net and see what the polo people think about the GT gearbox there and ask them if they rev like mad on the m/way as i'm sure the polo GT had a 1.3 engine like mine.

11. Unknown Forum Junkie

it did have a 1.3. However the polo is lighter than the golf and so can turn longer gears. The golf will probably have lower ratios as a rule.

example - I put a polo box on my 1.3 and its got a 24mph top gear, wher before it was around 18mph. I doubt the close ratio box is as tall as that but you never know.

PS therefore when I saw over 4K on a long down hill I was genuinely exceeding 100mph, despite what the speedo said) :lol: not bad for a ratty '83CL!

12. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

So on balance if it can be put in and a decent gearbox could be located would you say yay or nay?

13. Unknown Forum Junkie

yay!
    give it whirl 'round the block and up the motorway then swap back if you dont like it! They go in and out real easy.

14. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

I wouldn't even know where to get started [:s]

Does it tell you how to in Haynes? As I lost mine lol
    Edited by: Mk2GolfBoy