Polo GTI 1.8T Cambelt renewal ??

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by POLO GTI TURBO, Jan 31, 2010.

1. POLO GTI TURBO New Member

Hi everyone

I am having an issue with regards to when the cambelt is due on my Polo as it states no where in the book when it's due, but i've read various things about it should be done every 4 years and then i've read it should be done at a specific mileage !!.
    I don't know what to believe, if anyone can help i'd be grateful.
    Btw it's a 2006 model with 39000 on the clock if that helps !

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

120K, or 4 years

its due this year then

3. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

120k is suicide on 1.8t engine -

audi s3 1.8t is 80k, down from 100k due to breakages

is this right and current?
    they must want to sell some complete 1.8t engines I guess if this is the vag current bad advise

4. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

I would never let an engine do 120 or 80k on a belt!
    I class it as a serviceable part really.

Usually get it done once a year to be safe for what it costs.

(When you have had a belt snap, you do tend to think like this!)

I understand its not needed every year, but thats just me!
    Along with 5k oil changes!

5. vrbanana Forum Junkie

What is missed is the fact that the belt/tension should be checked on a major service.

Id never leave them to 120k, I always advise 80k, if the water pump lasts that long :lol:

6. vrbanana Forum Junkie

:thumbup:

7. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

yep.. and local audi dealer does not change tensioner with a cam belt..
    friend was told by Parklands Audi (glos) that the interval at time of asking was 100k! I said that was rediculous.. at 98k it went.. Returns to stealer (Parklands) and they then said it was now 80k so they customer fault.

the fiasco of incompetance with Parklands on this car is staggering... 4 clutch master cylinders, 2 slave cylinders, 1 x clutch, undone "loose" inlet manifold bolts, turbo to manifold bolt fell out, egt sensor not plugged back in, then the tensioner started rattling, I advised go back immediately.. It was I thought changed when new head was fitted but not the idiots reused the 98k old one as they dont change them... wtf!

Parklands Audi Gloucester - incompetant AVOID.

<rant off>

8. POLO GTI TURBO New Member

Thanks for replying everyone you've been helpful

Rang vee dub, your right you lot !!, 4 years is right, but with regards to 120k thats sounds a hell of a long time for a belt to be on,don't think i'd be risking that !.
    When i rang vee dub they said it requires 2 kits ?? there a bit different to the 'other' 1.8t's apparently !!, anyone heard that before ??.
    i know my there different to say a Golf,Bora turbo as they have a different ECU.

9. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

yep VW still on the 120K which is far too many miles, but still the figure!
    same on the Mk 5 GTI FSI engine, which i've seen 2 snapped in the 90K's

I've not heard of the 2 kits, but our parts guys deal with all that anyways, I can't believe some places aren't doing tensioners, we normally do some of the other pulley wheels as well
    I can believe some change them as the factory service sheets give you option of the first tensioner as 2nd belt change!!

5K oil changes a must, I've seen loads with pick up issues which all have spent first couple years on 20K servicing and then every 10K. When the sumps off it's covered in crusty dry build up :o

10. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Even when VAG reduced the recommended intervals, I've never let any of my cars run over 60k on a cambelt. I always change the tensioner at the same time, and, if you've got a plastic impeller water pump, change that for a metal impeller one.

You'll save a shed load of money long term :thumbup:

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the water pumps arnt even dear. if you search about you can get a cambelt kit with brand name rollers/tensioners for buttons

the last car i did was the S4
    155 conti cambelt kit
    belt
    INA/SNR rollers
    NTN tensioner

waterpump was about 38 (plastic impellor but the OE one lasted 114k miles..)

i did the ribbed belt tensioner/roller too.

when i first started the car it was brilliant to hear the V6. in the past, you heard the whining rollers more than the v6!

12. vrbanana Forum Junkie

There is no pattern as to the failure of the OE water pumps, I’ve seen them in perfect condition at over 100k, but also seen one fail at 22k

13. The_bug Forum Member

haha, 155... Buttons? your obviously not a student ;). Paid that much for my engine (and before its said, yes its a runner ;)).

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

its all relative though when you think about the cost/headache youd face if you stuck on inferior parts that went wrong.

the 155 for the S4 kit itself makes a 16v golf kit look like buttons as the golf wants a 15 belt and 20 tensioner

15. G-Man Forum Junkie

Yeah but its not any old engine he's on about, the S4 is hardly a car to be owned if you're on a shoe string budget :lol:

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

cambelt kit from Eurocarparts (contitech kit) for the 1.8t is only 70-80 innit? i think the 1.8t is a really reasonable engine to live with [:D]