Polo GTI Advice

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by krisspi, Jan 19, 2007.

1. krisspi New Member

hi im new to this forum but ive seriously been thinking about getting a new car and ive always had a soft spot for the volkswagen polo GTI. ive found one for 4800. its an all black, 3dr, non leather polo and its done 39k miles. but im really not sure if i should get it just coz ive neva parted with that sort of money.... (i know it sound stupid). also i really dont know what to look for when buying a car! but the rims need a serious refurb or even replacement. so if you guys could help me id really apprectiate it...

tia

krisspi

2. Seraph Banned

Theres several pologti owners on here - theyre the ones to speak to.

But factor in the reburb costs when pressing for discount of the advertised price.

3. AlpineWhite New Member

Gearboxes are one thing to watch out for!

4. sally_healey

sally_healey Forum Member

Yep listen to see if the gearbox whines when being driven. Apart from that just the usual shopping trolley dings and scrapes. Most polo's will need the wheels refurbing unless they've already been done as those rims are prone to it, a lot of people swap them for the BBS RX11's in 16" which look very similar to the originals but are obviously slightly bigger.

sally_healey

5. HoppyGTi

HoppyGTi Forum Member

I'm a newby on here as well!!

So my first post.........

If I were you I would through caution to the wind:-

Get onto Autotrader.co.uk and I have found a Silver (Much easier to keep; trust me!!) for about the same money with 38k on it. It also comes with a full leather interior!! I have had to travel a good distance for all my motors, so don't let distance put you off.
    I have had experience with the Polo Gti & would recommend you check the usual; HPI check (before you see the car) check VIN plates and the gearbox. The Polo Gti's major stumbling block was the gearbox. Check for whines, and any stiffness in the gear shift.
    Full history would be good. I also like to ring the garages where the service book states the car has been serviced. Don't be pressured into buying, if the seller seems nervous he/she has something to hide.

I hope this helps & I haven't bored you!!!

6. krisspi New Member

could u send me the link for that as i cant find it!!! lol

tia

7. krisspi New Member

ah dont worry ive found the beauty!

8. HoppyGTi

HoppyGTi Forum Member

Good looking motor I think.......was half considering it myself.

When you get some info about it let us know!!:)

9. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

My advice would be don't bother-i personally was really disappointed when i drove one-in fact, all of that generation polo felt a little rubbery and univolving, and the generation before that were dire imo.

however thats just me, decide for yourself and drive a few-not just one if you don't know what you are looking at as that way you will be able to spot individual strengths and weaknesses much more easily.

10. krisspi New Member

god damn it! that one has gone and it was perfect, 1 lady owner (i spoke to her), A1 condition leather seats 38K miles and FVWSH...! that sucks, i would have loved it like a child!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  11. HoppyGTi

HoppyGTi Forum Member

DAMN!!!

You have to be quick with them as they do have quite a following!!!
    The one that my GF & I bought was sold strictly 1st come 1st served. We had to hot foot it across to Leicester within minutes of seeing the advert, we beat the chap who was travelling from Newcastle-unpon-Tyne and a few others!!

I'll keep 'em peeled for you

12. krisspi New Member

thanks very much HoppyGTI, much appreciated.

13. HoppyGTi

HoppyGTi Forum Member

Just as a matter of interest why not try clubpolo.co.uk
    They are a friendly bunch over there and you would get some specific advice for the 6N2 aswell.

Hope you find what you're looking for soon

14. sally_healey

Yep definitely look around for a good one, you might have to compromise on some areas to get a really good one. Initially I was looking for a Black GTi will full leather but a decent one NEVER came up & so I went for a Silver one with full leather. Have to admit though I really don't regret it, the black ones are so hard to keep looking clean & my silver one always looks the muts (well in my opinion anyway)!

Hmmmmm don't agree with the rubbery and uninvolving although I will say the steering doesn't give you much feedback & is extremely light but once you've got used to that it'll give you face ache from smiling when driving it, once you get the revs up to the top of the range it really give you the ride you'd expect from a GTi [:D]

15. sally_healey

You could also try uk-polos.net, there's a silver one on there for 4100 & it's had a new gearbox fitted:)

16. krisspi New Member

hey again guys, just found this beaut:

2000 W Reg VOLKSWAGEN Polo 1.6 GTi
    5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 29,000 miles, Black. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Head restraints, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Radio/CD Multichanger, Rear headrests, Traction control. Insurance Group:12, 5,490.

so tell me what you think...

oh n also its at a dealer so there is an opertunity for finance

17. HoppyGTi

HoppyGTi Forum Member

Sounds good to me, bit on the pricey side of things seeing as it has no leather though. Full history? Those car adds never give you the full story.
    Have a good think about the 5door option. It's only a personal opinion but a car like that needs to be a 3 door. Also check the air conditioning, if it's manual i.e dials it is an early model & should come with a sunroof I think? more commonly it should be climatronic.
    Any luck with any of the other forums??