Polo Gti Question - 02R transmission (same as 02A/02J ???)

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Aussiemac, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Aussiemac New Member

Hi guys , have any of you tried to fit an 02J gearbox into a polo Gti with a BJX 1.8T engine???? It has an 02R box which has let the diff go and lunched itself. 02R boxes are very hard to find over here (Australia) and ive tried in Uk with not much luck which points me to the 02J from a Golf Gti around the 02 year. What do you think???? Have any of you guys came across it or know where i can get my hands on an 02R
    CHeers
    Aussiemac:thumbup:

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just to add a bit more detail from PMs:

OEM "02R" 'box... what is this? Fitted to a 9N Polo GTI with a 1.8T in it (in Australia). Anyone?

The same box is also in the 1.4TDI Polo and 1.9Tdi Polo - again, 9N Polos.

Helix in the UK + other choice in the US, eg Autotech.

What size clutch has it got on it?

How many forward gear ratios are in it?

3. Aussiemac New Member

Cheers for that , it is 5speed and exactly like 02J in shape ,size etc. 02R is stamped on the diff casing just like the 02J as well.

Yeah the Golf 02J ratios would be slightly higher but wouldnt go a miss as this thing has K04,Apr chip and front mount.

Clutch is an unsprung Evo type set up with release on the cover and the OEM bearing rides on top of that.

I wish to put clutch set up to standard look but with heavy clamping pressure, ECS perhaps.

Anywhere in the UK doing big clutches for the 1.8T???? Ive done a few Polos over here with 288 Vr plate and ABF FLY. With the exchange rate the way it is i am looking for somewhere in Uk doing big clutches.

Anyway thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas, i can take piccies of the box.

Reason i ask about the 02J( which is more readily available) fitting the Polo is that it looks exactly the same and wondered if anyone has come across it. All our 1.8t polos have the 02R.

Cheers

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

www.helix-autosport.com

5. Aussiemac New Member

Things are starting to dawn on me here, you guys are just starting to see the 18t in the Pog yeah?????? Your engines in the Gti are still 16V 1.6 am i right????? That explains the difficulty getting an 02R tranny in the UK. We have had the 1.8T over here since 05. Looks like an exchange box on the cards then
    Cheers and happy new year when i comes for yas
    :thumbup:

6. Aussiemac New Member

Through loads of research the 02R is also found in the New Cupra 16v. Still doesnt help the main question of would an 02J fit [:^(] I guess in a years time there will be a few floating around the breakers. Absolutely none to be got at the moment
    Cheers