Polo GTI

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by keeperjim, Apr 30, 2011.

1. keeperjim New Member

Hello all, I'm looking at buying a Polo GTI MK5 2000-2002. I'm reading a lot of stuff on the net about gearbox issues, pedal box issues and clutch issues. How big a problem was/is this?

I've been offered one but it has a slight whine from the box when it's under power and at Idle, but if the clutch pedal is dipped the whine goes away, I'm not sure if it's the bearings in the box or the clutch itself[8-}], it changes gear smoothly and easliy with no crunching or grinding, I'm not too bothered about maybe putting a new clutch and box in it as the rest of the car is immaculate, and the seller is willing to drop the price by quite a bit because of the whine. How easy are replacement boxes to source or would it be easier just to get the gearbox reconditioned?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm more used to working on Landrovers than VW's!

cheers,

Jim

2. andypaterson Forum Member

I'd be interested in this also.

Looking to possibly replace my reliable Bora TDI 115 with a 6n2 Polo GTI for a bit more character, and have heard about the chocolate gearboxes. Are they really THAT bad?!

3. Metalblue New Member

The gearbox is pretty weak. Many that have had there boxes replaced also don't have the right ratios (common to find the box from the 16v - close ratio 1-4 with a leggy 5th), VW replacement cost is around 1300ish for a new box with unlimited miles and 2 year warranty, or a general gearbox place will be around 700 for a rebuilt one with 12 months or 10,000 mile warranty. Nonetheless these are fantastic cars

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

yes the boxes are weak, even on none GTI models

shaft bearing wear out and move the secondary shaft away from the diff, and other related issues!