Polo woes

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by k plate, Mar 25, 2010.

1. k plate Forum Member

Afternoon peeps. I have a 1ltr polo on a P reg and the cam belt snapped the other day. It never made a any horrific noises it just stopped running so i thought GREAT it must have a clearence engine so i got a new belt and fitted it yesterday but it won't start. All i done was line up the cam and the crank, do i have to mess with the dizzy to get it working or isn't it a clearence engine and would the valve/s be bent which is why it wont start?

Cheers in advance

terry

2. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Dizzy is driven of the cam, so as long as the cam is timed up the dizzy should be as well.

I reckon the little 1.0l is an interference engine, so you've probably got a bent valve or 2. Just cos you didn't hear anything doesn't mean no damage was done - do you know what a valve being bent sounds like?

3. k plate Forum Member

I was doing about 80 mph when it went so i thought it may have made a little rattle

4. SkyRocketeer

nope.

The cam'll most probably stop dead, but the crank & pistons are still moving you'll get a single impact on whatever valve is down at the time and that's it, the valve has effectively been smacked out of the way by the piston so it can carry on moving.

5. k plate Forum Member

Head off then......

6. SkyRocketeer

A compression test will immediately highlight any problems. But it'll probably be head off time anyway.

7. peteg40 New Member

yeah - i'd say you've probably bent a few valves. As far as i'm aware they are an interference engine.

8. Wilmal Forum Member

Yep, as said above, they are interference engines. Get the head off and check it out.