Poly bushes... DIY?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Darth_Vader, May 22, 2010.

1. Darth_Vader New Member

Hi,

I am currently contemplating replacing the worn suspension bushes with a full set of polys.

Has anybody on here fitted their own bushes? Is this a DIY job, or do I need to get them fitted professionally?

Rs

DV

2. Darth_Vader New Member

Sorry... might need to say that I am taling about my Mk2, 8v GTI

ta taa

3. danster Forum Addict

If "The Force" is with you it is possible Lord Vader!:lol:

Seriously though, it is a fairly involved job to do the whole car, especially the rear axle bushes. The suspension geometry and tracking on the front will need set once they have been replaced too.

4. mlloyd2000 Forum Member

If doing them yourself, with the rear beam, once the old rubber bushes are out there's a metal insert in the beam which sticks out on one side, you will need to remove that to get the poly ones in. it had me confused when my powerflex ones wouldn't fit, untill I realised.

5. johnmk3 Forum Member

id recon its worth 5/6 out of 10 for difficulty if youre doing the rear beam too. that does suck a bit tbh

the front only though... 3.5 out of 10

its not the worst job to do tbh

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

just take care undoing wishbone bolts as the captive nuts can snap and in some cases so have the bolts! its really not worth sending it to a garage as it is a labour intensive job and I recon could run you close to 300quid in labor. Check out some of the guides on here, NigeP did a wishbone guide somewhere so check it out so you know what is involved.