Poor starting valver

Discussion in 'Engines' started by paulpalmer, Oct 31, 2003.

1. paulpalmer Forum Member

Hi All

My Fiancee has a 1990 16 valve gti that doesn't start very well :( to start it you have to floor the throttle normally then keep it running by revving it for a bit before it will idle :( Then when warm it ticks over at nearly 2,000 rpm at the moment! I have changed the idle stabiliser valve and admit it did start better but it still doesn't idle from cold or idle well :(

Any suggestions please? I'm getting desperate now because she won't drive it until it's fixed :(

Thanks

Paul

2. paulpalmer Forum Member

Back to a learner again [:[]

3. prof Forum Addict

the swiches on the throttle body aren't connecting up properly, get a haynes and have a look
    Edited by: prof

4. paulpalmer Forum Member

What do you mean by that? I checked the connections if that's what you mean.

Thanks

Paul :)

5. daveybwoy Forum Member

check the cold start valve is working. un-bolt it put it in a jam jar and get someone to start the car when cold. Should get a nice conical spray. If not something is wrong and check the thermotime switch.

Check the airflow sensor plate isn't binding
    Edited by: daveybwoy

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I`d go with the switch first, then set the mixture-tickover properly (see haynes or GVK`s website).

Idling at 2k when warm sound like the settings are a mile off!, or you`ve got a big air leak somewhere?

7. DAN

Dan New Member

Sounds like it could be the blue temp sender, located on the side of the engine block below the ISV Valve - Easy to test it... you'll find 2 of these senders mounted next to each other. Try swapping them round and see if that sorts it, if it does then just replace the sender..

If thats not clear enough, I can send pics if you need ?

Dan

8. paulpalmer Forum Member

[8D] Thanks for the replies. I managed to get it idling well at the weekend by putting the throttle stop screw in so that it hits the switch properly (I think it was hitting before but made sure) The only thing is I don't know how it starts from cold yet because I haven't had chance to try it :( What is the screw on the throttle body with the hex head? Is that the idle speed adjuster screw?

Thanks

Paul :)

9. paulpalmer Forum Member

Just got an email from her and "it's running really well" [8D] First time since she bought it [:[]

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

You normally move the switch (it`s on slotted holes on the bracket) but if it works then that`s good enough!