Possible Head Gasket gone, what to do?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by trmorgan95, Apr 27, 2015.

1. trmorgan95 New Member

So I went in for a set of new front tyres and have been told that my head gasket may have gone :cry:. There is quite a lot of oil in the coolant so I'm just wondering if there is anything else to check before assuming it is the head gasket? I have very little experience under the bonnet of a car however I bought this car with the intention of learning and I'd hate to have to take it to a garage if its something I can do myself. WHAT DO I DO?!?!?

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

More likely the oil cooler has gone
    Easy to check if remove the two pipes from it and join them with a small bit off pipe
    To bypass it
    Then with the engine running look for oil coming out one of the pipes on the cooler

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If you can change a oil filter you should be able to change the oil cooler

4. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Hi mate,

Checks - compression test using the a compression test gauge screwed into the spark plug holes - that will help identify whether the gasket leak is effecting compression... but the compression test could miss a leak between channels that is not breaking through in to the cylinder.

Also - you should have water cooled oil cooler (front of engine, to the right of the water pump). You might just have a leak in that, allowing the oil and water to mix. However I'm not sure how common that is.

Some of the other members will be a bit better placed to help you go through the checks.

Reason for my reply - if it is a head gasket - it is a fair job, but not impossible for a 1st time mechanic. There is bound to be a guide on here, if not, then a Haynes manual should have enough info to guide you start to finish.

Head gasket parts are relatively cheap from what I remember. And doing the job is a good learning experience and a chance to check out/change the timing belt & tensioner, and have a look around at the condition of the bores etc.

5. trmorgan95 New Member

thanks for the responses, i'll check the oil cooler this weekend when i get chance and let you know whats happening, and possibly get a compression test done :thumbup: