Possible leaking accumulator ,is this common ?

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by watercooled, Apr 5, 2023.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Car had been sitting for a few months after paint work,it started straight up as usual but had a strong fuel smell and traced it to fuel pump assembly,seemed to be coming from the accumulator but not certain as yet as it lost what (stinking ) fuel was left .
    Will jack up and check today after adding fuel ,if this is the case are these a common part used on mk2 platform cars ?.
    Hope I can find one as they are mental money new,never had one leak but most of my cars have been diji pump.
    TIA,cheers.

2. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

They do rust and look a bit nasty but I’ve never had an accumulator leak. I have however had two different cars leak from the black plastic fuel reservoir that the accumulator is housed on. Both times was from the joint in the plastic of the two halves just due to ageing not impact damage. Possibly explained if the car was in an oven for paint as old plastic going brittle may be more susceptible to cracking?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the diaphragm inside can split, if that happens fuel will come out of the little screw hole at the back end of the accumulator. if its blown you'll tend to get poor hot starting as the residual pressure cant be maintained and the fuel vaporises in the lines

but yeah, its probably the plastic reservoir thats gone and its not easy to find replacements these days :(

4. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks guys,didn't get into it much yesterday but having had a reservoir go on my 86 Golf it isn't leaking from there,seems its where the end is crimped together on the accumulator .
    Could the screw hole be blocked and cause this ? ,reason I ask is don't think it is the diaphragm as the car started very quickly so it must have been holding residual pressure ? .
    Will update when I know the source,cheers.

5. watercooled Forum Member

Ok team ,pulled it down and found fuel had been pissing out the little screw in the back of the accumulator,but can see that but not why the thing is holding pressure enough for the car to start the car which it can do fine ?.
    Any way will see if I can find a used one so I need some luck there,cheers

6. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

If it's VW 431 133 441 C / Bosch 0438 170 027, Autodoc had them at £126 inc. postage for a while last year on one of their 40% off days.

If you can wait and they send as far afield as you, similar offers do still come around every so often.

Just had a look and they're £225 today, which is with 27% off.

7. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks for your reply but cant stretch to a new one as with expensive shipping to New Zealand and our weak dollar it makes little sense as with shipping it will be 485NZD !!!!!!!.
    Cheers for the part number that will be helpful when a try to find a good one,got the feelers out so crossed fingers as not many running k-jet here so must be parts around...surely.

8. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

There must be an alternative way of doing it or an aftermarket part available that will do the job.
    I don’t know if this would work
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17567806...-5R887dR_G&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

@watercooled

Both Porsche and Mercedes of the same era used them and the Porsche one is cheaper. Very likely the same part.

https://www.design911shop.com/p/fuel-accumulator-porsche-911-1980-83---930---965_2/

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de...ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/5558

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  9. rubjonny

some other part numbers:
    0438170027 - 431133441C (replaces 431133441D)

0438170052 - 447133441 - small rocco/cabby version, will fit MK2 with adaptor sleeve 191201533 which is basically a plastic packing to take up the extra diameter of the clamp

10. Typ53 New Member

For the sake of the completeness of the above list, the (very leaky) factory accumulator on my KR Corrado bears the part number 0438179040. Happily this one currently appears to be cheaper than the xx027 version.

11. rubjonny

is that definitely the right number as I cant find any real reference to it online?