possible reason why digi 'blitz' chips may not work sometimes

Discussion in 'Engines' started by wcrado, Dec 10, 2007.

1. wcrado Forum Member

Well after reading Toyotecs megasquirt conversion project on his 2.0 8v, and seeing the results of the 'blitz' chip against a standard digi map, i was put off getting one, as i'm sure alot of people were. However, after a fair few mods on my own 2.0 8v project, i needed to find a way to increase the fuelling slightly, given that megasquirt was a bit too out of reach for the short term. I did a bit of research on VWVortex, and noticed that alot of the guys on there are running chipped ECU'S from a few different companies, techtonics tuning being one example. Another name that cropped up was a guy called pete, who went by the name vw_pilot. Alot of people had bought chips from this guy, and they were all over the moon with the results. I emailed him to find out a price, and he told me to provide him with my ECU code, as some digi ECU's require an extra chip to get it to work properly. Turns out my bosch ecu, which ended in an N code, is one of the ECU's that requires an extra chip, or else it doesn't do what it should, and will actually reduce power.
    So could this be the reason why some people have good results from the 'blitz' style chips and some (toyotec included) don't?

I've never heard of people using a two-chip combination with the blitz chips, just that some people swear by them, and some think it's a waste of time, so maybe the guys with the N code ECU need a futher chip to get it to do what it's supposed to?

I asked vw_pilot if he had ever done any 'before' and 'after' testing with his chips, and he said he had: typical power increase on a bog-standard mk2 digi was 7bhp/11lbft.

He also says that these chips do alter the ignition timing map to make it more aggressive, as i know people have been unsure whether 'blitz' chips do anything to the timing.

We shall see. Total cost was $55 delivered for the two-chip combination, however if you only need the one chip it would come in at $43 delivered. For 29 of my money to the door it's worth a punt.

2. krazykev Forum Member

As far as i'm aware ignition timing cant be adjusted in the digi engine management. In all the mk2 ecus we have listed the only thing adjustable is the fueling and on a few ecus the idle electrovalve.

Im not saying it definately cant be done, but as far as im aware it cant be.

3. krazykev Forum Member

Apologies, i've just seen your screen name, if it's corrado digifant you're refering to ignition maps can be adjusted. Mk2 8v golf cant be

4. wcrado Forum Member

no, it's a mk2 golf. I'm not sure if they can or can't be either, but after reading a few threads on VWVortex, many of the people seem to think some chips only adjust fuelling, however they do name a few chips that adjust the igntion map, vw_pilot's chip aside, they mention an advanced motorsport chip, which is supposedly awesome, and works wonders on the digi, but it does cost a bit. (around $200) tell ya what, i'll cut/paste from vortex:

"A better chip is suggested but not required.
    AMS is by far the best chip currently available.
    http://www.advancedmotorsport.com/
    Increases injector pulse width(more fuel), has agressive timing maps, & raises the rev limit to 7,000 rpm. (with the right mods, you'll make power that high with this AFM)
    A cheap alternative is the SNS Cam Chip, it only increases fuel but you'll still have the stock 6,200 rpm rev limit & it does nothing for timing. It's only $39 & better than nothing"

If it does it does! i'm not sure if it can, i'm not technically minded to that extent, and i know toyotec was undecided as to whether the igntion data was stored on the chip.

i'll post back the results from the chip once it's fitted. I'm also planning to rolling road the car soon, so i may do a before/after and see what the results are

5. krazykev Forum Member

If i could get hold of one of these chips i can put it against a standard file, i've got a blitz chip sat on my desk, but because i dont know what ecu it's from it's difficult to compare it... I'll see what i can do :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

this sounds very interesting, I might have to go for one of these as well, I'll go speak to the man direct :)

Edit: But, make sure you mention to him that you do not have a lambda probe, since on one of his forsale posts he mentions that it reads an input from one...

7. wcrado Forum Member

i think it should be fine, i told him i'm uk based with the PB engine, and NO CAT! so i think he should get the message. I told him all the mods i had done to the car, even down to the octane rating in the petrol i use. How much of that info he will use i don't know, but like you say, hopefully it won't be cat/lambda specific or i'm buggered

8. Dubnutter Forum Member

Iv bought one of these chips for several of my golfs i have owned, to be honest i never got on with the blitz chips. The guy i use is the guy that sells the chips with the car make badge on the chip, cant remember his name.

Made the car pull cleanly to the limiter and even hit the limiter in 5th (after a little run up).

He also leave the rev cut where it is, which i think is wise.

9. Dubnutter Forum Member

its also worth mentioning, i also had a mk3 golf i bougth a "blitz chip for", my pcb had 2 removable chips, but i only recieved one, and wen fitted made the car feel *floppy* and sluggish under low revs, turns out i should of been given 2 chips, i was told by the guy i mentioned previously, who then provided me with 2 brilliant chips, made the car so much smoother and more revy, and had a much more violent top end thrash for motorway racing, and best of all, im 99% sure fuel econemy went up considerably!!!

10. Dubnutter Forum Member

p.s. he also offers free uk delivery, and i remember now, its called power chips, class A bloke!!, will even write you a chip for a 2.0 8v digi conversion!!!!

11. Phil. Forum Junkie

Any details for this chap Dubnutter?

12. Dubnutter Forum Member

not especialy, all i know is the company on ebay is called power chips, his vw chips usualy have a vw symbol on them along with the car type. All i can say is i have never had any problems, nothing but good stuff, very helpful guy. Aslong as you bear in mind they dont get you silly power, just nice smooth power and torque curves and better fuel econemy, largley due to the extra low down grunt so you dont have to boot it to move, and becuase he has fixed a few *fuel flushes* in the injector fazing.
    I bought one recently for my 2.0 8v converted gti mk2, he needed my ecu number, a few details on mods, cams etc, and needed a week to make some alterations to the basic 8v chip, but the results were very good, funnily enough, the biggest improvment on this car is fuel econemy lol

13. rubjonny

Ok I sent him an email about my 2 ECUs:
    037 906 022 E
    037 906 022 N

Here is the reply
    That would explain why the ebay special chip I put in my E code ECU didnt really do anything! I've ordered a pair, will keep you posted on what happens :)

14. krazykev Forum Member

That weird, as the chip on the flip side is actually a motorola processor... I really need to crack this ignition map lol.

15. rubjonny

are sure sure it is on all ecus though, perhaps only the later ones had the processor on the flip side, and the early ones had 2 chips with the processor elsewhere?

I'll open mine up again and take pics :)

16. wcrado Forum Member

b@lls,

are all you guys going for the 'powerchips' guy?

I went for the vw_pilot chip via the American chap from vortex, and although he's highly thought of on vortex, and his chips have increased power well when tested, my car is far from a standard digi.

If this powerchips guy can write a chip for a 2.0 8v conversion, and even take into account cam profiles, etc, then maybe i should have gone down that route!

let me know how you get on with yours and i'll do the same with this guy.

Cheers4 now

17. Dicky_morris Forum Member

yeah i wouldnt mind talking to this power chips guy and seeing what hes putting out as typical power figures from his chip.

18. t'mill Forum Member

Theres also a guy on the bay selling performance chips with the same claims as the power chips seller. This seller is called dubperformance and the chips are only 14.99 + 1.75 postage, 13.25 cheaper than powerchips.

Anyone any experience of these chips? He's only made 65 transactions but his feedback reads well.

19. Phil. Forum Junkie

I emailed the powerchips seller asking is it possible to produce a chip that controlled fuelling and ignition to suit a 2.0 BVH 8v mk2.

His repoonse...

Hi,

Unfortunately the Digifant 2 system cannot be tweaked as much as we would like to.

The chip only controls the fueling. The rpm limiter and ignition is controlled by a microcontroller inside the ecu.

I had a similar setup two years ago. It made 167hp on the dyno using 270 camshaft as any higher than that, would make the car very difficult to drive in traffic.

What I can suggest is to use larger injectors. I used the green ones from the G60 engine with a larger AFM from a 3.5L bmw engine of the same era.
    The results were very good!

Let me know if you need any help.

Kind Regards

20. t'mill Forum Member

ANYONE??