power/general car tools section..?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Admin, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Admin Guest

I vote for losing the VAG and audi section of chat, role those into the general vehicle chat, like the good old days, it will boost the turn over of threads in there and keep it fresh,

and replace it with a tool section[:?:] [:-B]
    either power tools for working on cars etc, and hand tools that you might rate, most of us work on our cars and have started a collection of bits and bobs, what do you use and how do you rate it etc.
    plus maybe a few home grown ideas on tools for those awkward jobs.

2. geany Forum Member

i second this idea of a tools section often wonder what i need or what tools are useful.

3. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

I asked for one of these before, i think it was shot down in flames :(

4. Matt G Forum Member

then shame on those that did coz its a quality idea.

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

or just find some poor sod that knows, or can get access to the VAG tool list[:[] [:-B]

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

it could also have a sticky for special tools that are needed for certain jobs (ie that spline thing for getting driveshafts out).

7. Sukh

Sukh Membership Team Admin

I think this would be a good idea too tips and tricks for removing oil seals etc.... The driveshaft tool is a 8mm spline socket.

8. the fat stig

the fat stig Forum Member

this sounds like a good idea . could be worth looking into .:clap:

9. geany Forum Member

spent a day trying to get my manifold off without removing engine. needed a knuckle joint on my wrench wish i knew to start :(

10. damogti Forum Junkie

Sounds like a good idea to me too.... i would like to see a General Vehicle chat section and a VAG chat section that includes all chat relating to VW, AUDI, SEAT Skoda etc etc etc...... much tidier than it is now and keeps the on topic (VAG) chat separate from the main vehicle chat section :thumbup:

11. voteforpedro Forum Member

Yeah - and post cheap essential tool recommendations, like that 22 impact gun that spun the top nut off my front struts in five seconds using only one hand.

12. newkid

newkid Forum Member

think this would be a good idea and could possibly work well. only thing i'm wondering is that once people have put the essential tools, rated the various popular brands etc will this section become a bit slow?

Nice idea and i'm not slating it in the slightest.

13. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

It may slow down once it's 'full' of the more commonly useful information - but it'll still see lots of hits from folks just reading/referencing stuff.

Think a lot of people underestimate the usefulness of just being able to read stuff.

14. Admin Guest

once filled it would be used as a reference section.

15. newkid

newkid Forum Member

yes i agree with you and i wasnt trying to put it down any. It was just a thought. Maybe it'd be worth having links or regular updates from the likes of sealey, Frost, Draper, Snap-on, mac, halfords etc to keep up with the latest prices or new products on the market. Thus keeping the section fresh? Or even have a recommended retailer bit similar to the quality retailers section in the main forum?

16. Admin Guest

oh i wasn't taking it a bad point, plus you've come back with an idea on how to keep it fresh... ;) [:D] now to put it into place...

17. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

was thinking the same thing.
    a tools section would be good

18. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

and a classified sub section for tools. some stuff like engine cranes or compression testers you might only use once. so it would be handy if you could buy/borrow/sell them on here.

19. Matt G Forum Member

what about a more specific "rated" section for tools, with a star rating system or summet? then you can give more specific feedback on something.

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

Tool section is a great idea. We should also try to get a discount with someone like Machine Mart, Chrome Trader, or others who do mail order, or even someone like Halfords who have loads of local branches (although I only really use them as a last resort).

We end up answering questions about 'what tool for driveshafts?' or 'what socket set should I buy?' all the time. A reference section for tools would help a lot, as well as a 'where to get a ......' section.

As a club membership, we must spend a fortune on tools!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007