Power increase with twin 40s

Discussion in '8-valve' started by kieron, Sep 21, 2004.

1. kieron New Member

I have a mk1 8 valve which is bored out to 2ltrs with flowed head, cam, audi throttle body & warm up reg, supersprint etc. It is currently running 124bhp at wheels @5000rpm. What power/torque gain would I get from twin 40s and where in the rev range. Is it worth doing?

2. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

if your running a 2.0 then i think u would be better off running 45's

124 @ wheels is good power as it is.
    where was your car set up?

3. kieron New Member

The car was set up last week at a garage near me in Lincoln. He said it wasn't a million miles off before he adjusted it. I am impressed with the way she pulls hard from low down with oodles of torque but peak power is at 5k and then it's all over so not sure exactly what cam it's running! I just wondered whether the carbs will give a meaningful increase on this engine. Does anyone know of anyone running carbs on an 8v?

4. GT2 Rocco Forum Member

Prob not worth it unless you want that induction roar and the consumption to boot!! 124bhp is good at the wheels how many miles has the block done?

5. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I'm going to be fitting twin weber 40s to my 1.8 gu engine. I managed to pick up the carbs complete with inlet manifold and linkages for 200. Its currently running 106bhp at the wheels, which is not bad for a driver engine. I would hope the webers will add another 10bhp ontop of that, especially as it has a custom made manifold designed for extra power and torque. Plus it should sound awesome.

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Only trouble with fitting carbs on 8v's is the fact that they're directly above the exhaust manifold, unless you fit a X-flow head.

7. flusted Forum Member

mmmmmmmmmmmm Heat!

I thought carbs loose low down torque due to the airspeed?

8. kieron New Member

Ok thanks peeps, probably not worth doing then by the sounds of it. The block is actually a mkII 8v and has done around 100k. I'll have to just get saving for a 20vt!!!!

9. Sam_Rallye Forum Member

Depends what you choke them for....

I've gone from 32 to 36mm chokes and have lesss of a peaky torque curve but more of it.

10. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I'm going to construct an airbox in the bulkhead. Hopefully it will draw more air into the carbs and protect it from the heat of the exhaust manifold.