Power steering issues

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by zcacogp, Dec 5, 2003.

1. zcacogp Forum Member

Chaps,

What happens when power steering starts to go west? I have a late Mk2 8v with power steering, and sometimes the feel is best described as "lumpy". It doesn't feel entirely smooth across the range, as if the power assistance is not entirely constant.

It seems worse in the wet, so I am assuming it is a slipping belt, but I am not convinced that it is not getting worse (although I may be being paranoid!)

I know that the car has recently had a new rack fitted, so am assuming it is not this.

Oli.

2. damogti Forum Junkie

More problems!!! Your having about as much luck as me lately mate!! [:^(]

It's probably the belt slipping, seems to be a Mk2 trate!!! I would rerplace the belt and make sure the slash guard if fitted, does make a big differece in the wet as it stops a lot of the water coming up from the wheels/road from going over the belts.........

Good Luck mate :)

3. zcacogp Forum Member

Damo,

Hi! Usual service is resumed eh? I post a question about Mk2's, and you answer it! Thanks again!

I'm not actually worried. It's more that I have tomorrow booked to play with the car (get to grips with that wheel bearing amongst other things). This is something that I am aware of as not being quite as it should, and therefore will have a look at while I am at it. I was wondering if there was anything to look out for - leaking fluid, for instance.

Splash guard? What's one of those? I'm not sure that I have one (which may go a fair way towards explaining the problem!) Replacing the belt is a good place to start though. Thanks.

Oli.

4. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

i had the same lumpiness after i landed my car into a pile of sand. it felt very lumpy especially when approaching full lock. the symptoms gradually disapeared after taking it for a long drive :) i'm guessing crap had got in between the belt and pulleys causing it to slip.

a new belt might just fix your problem

5. Rustynuts Forum Member

Yeah def worth checking that the belt is tensioned enough.

6. zcacogp Forum Member

Right, thanks chaps.

New belts all round it is. I'll be belting up this weekend, and it'll be a complete belter when it's finished. I'll also be able to belt around the twistiest chicanes possible in very little time. <Insert other bad belt gags here.>

Oli.