Power steering squeal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by oldmanschild, Nov 14, 2003.

1. oldmanschild New Member

I own a 1990 mkII Golf GTi 16v, i hope it isnt expensive but on full lock both clockwise and counter clockwise it makes this annoying high pitch squeal [:s]funny thing is wen its wet , the car doesnt seem to make as much noise, anyone with any idea's what this could be , if so how much roughly will it cost me, cheers

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Not expensive at all. It is the power steering belt making the noise.

Ensure that the PAS belt is tensioned correctly, and consider replacing it if it's old.

If the noise is getting a lot worse when it is wet then obviously this is because the water is getting to the PAS belt and pulleys. There should be a plastic guard panel fitted underneath to keep water away from the belts and pulleys. This might be missing on your car.

Trev

3. oldmanschild New Member

Thanks, ill get it looked at straight away, the garage i brought it from said they tightened it, but maybe its just knackered and needs replacing, thank god its not to expensive, thanks again

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

You may find that the 'feel' of your steering will have improved greatly when you get it sorted out.

You can obtain a new PAS belt from Halfords.

I understand that there are two different sizes of PAS belt that yours could be. I don't know how true this is. I was fortunate that the one I bought was the correct one.

5. AL

AL Forum Member

I had the same problem on exactly the same car, which I purchased fairly recently. Replacing the belt was the first thing I had done, and the problem subsided.. for about a day.
    Since then the problems got progresively worse, and its now got to the point where not only does it sqeueel badly on even the slightest turn of wheel, but the power steering gives up all together [:x].

What do you rekkon...

1: Fluid needs replacing?

2: Belts slowly lost tension again?

3: Needs new pump?

4: All of the above?

Getting serious now, both annoying and dangerous.

6. Lee-GTi Forum Member

Did you get the right belt? it could be to thin and runing on the inner part of the metal pully, its easy to see if the belt is loose, the belt has to be tight like very tight, when the belt is on if you can move the belt more then 3-5mm then the belt is loose and will not work well. if its making noises just spray on some WD40 and if the noise goes then the belts need to be changed or retighted.
    you would no if the pas pump had given up they make a very expensive sound that you feel on you pocket!! :lol:

7. AL

AL Forum Member

Cheers, I'll go give the belt a prod and see how its looking. Might replace the fluid as well just to be kind, for all I know the stuff thats in there might not have seen the light of day for 14 years.
    It only takes a specific VW fluid doesn't it? Wheres the best place to get it, main dealer? GSF?

8. Lee-GTi Forum Member

GFS/ AutoQuip/ Kevin Cooper/ Halfords it does not matter really there all the same its not like engine oil or petrol!