Powersteering failure on my seat ibiza...help please!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by fthaimike, Aug 20, 2006.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

Was coming off motorway & noticed heavy steering, 1st thought was a flat but just didn't feel like a puncture.
    When i took a few corners before parking at my mate's house the steering was heavy & i mean 4 times heavier than my mk1 golf which i class as heavy, so what does this mean?

I checked the steering fluid reservoir which is full & the two belts fan/steering seem nice & tight so not slipping, there is no noise from the car like squeaking to say anything is struggling or slipping.

I can get a 2nd hand pump locally for thirty odd quid so not worried about cost but just the cause.

It is a Seat ibiza 1.9d on an X plate.

Took a few pics of the type of engine etc:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v90/fthaimike/Seat%20Car/

2. vw scottie Forum Member

Was you driving through heavy rain because mine does this when the weather is really wet or i`ve driven through a big puddle.

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

No i just had a burst of speed then just after slowing down it happened.

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

Hmmm took the car out today, left left right then all of a sudden hmm steering seems easy & yep the power steering is now working again?

Going to get it checked out tomorrow anyway.

5. andyj Forum Member

check that the power steering belt is being tensioned properly.... I think the power steering pump has to be manually tensioned, unlike the alternator which works via a spring.

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yeah cheers just got back & it appears the belt is worn so going to get that replaced on friday & take it from there.