Pressure test results

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by ben mk2, May 25, 2014.

1. ben mk2 Forum Member

Good morning lovely people!!

I'm looking for a bit of advise please?

Car is a D reg mk1 cabby 1.8 DX.

About 12 months ago it had the following:

new injectors, seals, in tank pump.

Its come to me to have rough running and starting issues fixed.

Cold starting: sometimes its a bit rough and wont rev straight away
    Hot staring: leave it for ten mins and it wont start first time, cranks for a while
    Rough running: slight miss/splutter at low revs/light throttle

Changed the coil, cap and rotor arm, removed the metal shrouds from the outside of the plug leads.

All earth's checked and ok

Fuel pressure test revealed no pressure being held once you switch the engine off. Found and replaced the one way valve in the pump, made improvements but pressure was till dropping slightly. Pulled the metering head apart, all nice and clean and changed the pressure relief valve in the head for a spare 16v one i had kicking about. Now holds 3 bar of pressure for over 20 mins. Seems to be driving and starting lots better now.

When I set-up the pressure gauge (in-line from the metering head to the WUR, with the valve on the WUR side), I get the following results:

Cranking and then starts, pressure goes straight up to just over 5 bar, no matter what i do to the valve on the gauge the pressure stays the same, is this normal? I though it was supposed to drop to about 3.4 bar?
    Also when i switch then engine off the pressure fluctuates from 2-3 bar about five times then settles to 3 bar, whilst this happens i can hear and feel a ticking from the metering head, is this normal??

The cars seems a lot better now, perhaps a slight hesitation when you first apply the throttle but i haven't driven it since i removed the shims from the 16v pressure valve (was too high).

Also noticed a slight weeping from the accumulator screw so I'm guessing that needs replacing?

Apologies for the small essay, just trying to get my head around all the readings etc I'm getting. I love working on these K-Jets I just want to make sure I'm going in the right direction?!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah if you have a leak from the accumulator screw then the diaphragm inside has failed so start with that.

if the pressure gauge always shows 5bar with valve open or closed this points to the WUR or metering head being faulty, though the fact it starts and runs fine with 5 bar control pressure is odd!

3. ben mk2 Forum Member

It's a weird one, its still rough on start up from cold but fine when hot. I've been over and over everything and just cant identify what's wrong????

4. peteg40 New Member

Check my thread... I had very similar issues. Mine was a goosed wur.