Problem rebuilding 02a ctn box

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by jamez, Jun 9, 2019.

1. jamez Forum Member

I'm rebuilding a ctn 02a box i have fitted in my mk1 but have run into a problem I've not come across before.I have fitted all the bearings ( i got them from https://www.onestopgearboxshop.com/) but I'm now checking the preload and have fitted the input shaft without any shims and have bolted the box together at 25nM and now have at least 7 inch pounds turning torque on the input shaft , max allowed after adjustment 1.8. I have checked that the bearing races are fully seated in the case and the bearings are seated on the input shaft but this measurement is far too high. When i opened the box and removed the old races i was surprised to see there was no shims at all on the input shaft ,the output and differential are too high but have shims and will be adjusted . The bearings supplied are timken and skf for this shaft,the gearbox case shows no sign of damage at all , where do i go from here??

Thanks 02a1.jpg 02a2.jpg

2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

The lower bearing doesn't have a shim, the upper sits under the lip. It will have one from the factory.