Project full OEM - The 1984 Golf C

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Lukeybabes, Oct 14, 2016.

1. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

What a cracking car-I can't get over the original sealing still being in place on the door membrane!

I'm not sure how you're going to resist modding it but good luck lol

Lukeybabes likes this.
  2. Lukeybabes Forum Member

As soon as I put the painted steels back on I knew I could resist. Looks so good like that.

3. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Took a few days to get this done because of it getting dark very early, also had a bit of a set back. But I finally got it done.

Used some swarfega jizzer stuff and it worked pretty well with they jet wash. The waxoyl runs gave me a bit of hard time but all the oil and grease came off lovely.
    I was a bit lazy and didnt cover anything while jet washing. :problem: It started after but after a few minuets died and would just about start and then die. It was getting dark by this point so I left it till the next day as I thought oh it will just be a bit of moisture in the cap.
    After taking the cap off I saw it was very pitted, so I went and bought a new one and a new arm while I was there. Didnt fix it. Took the distributor out and it wasn't wet but I warmed it up just to make sure. Didnt fix it. Resurfaced the points and adjusted them. Didnt fix it. Took the carb off to clean and check all the vacuum hoses around the back. All were fine. Changed the capacitor on the front of the distributor, worked perfectly.
    I'm gonna get some spares of those to keep in the glove box. As it wouldn't stay running without it. Its to prevent arcing across the points I learnt after.

So anyway, pictures

Before

[​IMG]

During

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Massive difference. But I don't really want to start painting bits as it becomes a restoration car instead of an original car then. I would end up doing a full on restoration, everything taken apart blasted, painted, coated or new. I like that it's just original. I used the old man method to stop anymore rusting to the rocker cover, cam belt cover, fan shroud and air filter cover. Wiped some engine oil over it. I think it suits it lol

The only thing I might do is put some new foam on the air inlet pipe. I've definitely seen someone do it before but after searching a lot I can't find it. The foam is 15mm thick and has like a rubber coating on the outside. Need to find a good match.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Sirguydo likes this.
  4. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Got myself some new replica dealer number plates. Very happy with the service from www.dmb.uk.com. I was very picky with the font so made them do some alterations a few times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. G4Z-Mk216V Forum Member

incredible!

Lukeybabes likes this.
  6. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Credit to you :thumbup:

Lukeybabes likes this.
  7. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Did the foam on the inlet pipe. What a pain.
    Got the old stuff off without damaging the internal pipe an more than it already was. But I couldn't get the pipe off to slip the new foam on without damaging it, due to the way its fitted onto the ends. There is a thread with barbs on it to stop it backing off

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I bought some 60mm ventilation ducting to replace the old stuff. The foam slipped over this quite easily with some furnature polish as lube and pulling it through with string.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used the old foam to cut it to length, and used some zip ties on the internal pipe to stop it coming off of the ends. It worked really well and the finish of the foam looks perfect.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The foam is Armaflex HT 60/13 and the pipe is just some 60mm ventilation ducting.

Sirguydo, beetie and notenoughtime like this.
  8. sava001006 Forum Member

great work on this bud, love a OEM build/restoration

9. notenoughtime

Nice I like what you have done there!

10. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks guys :thumbup:

11. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Ordered some bits from heritage a while ago but a few of them were special order items. Got the package today. Pretty much all very uninteresting small bits but im gonna share it anyway.

Got one of their new first aid kits.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A rear seat pull as the old one was broken.

[​IMG]

Two new parcel shelf straps as one was from a different car, so made the shelf not level when hanging. And the other one was quite hard so was probably gonna break soon.

[​IMG]

And I got some spare points and condensor to keep in the glove box for emergencies.
    I also just bought a genuine mk2 warning triangle.

I need to find a place to mount a fire extinguisher in the boot without drilling holes or screwing into anything. Ideas?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  12. BISSONE Forum Member

Why the Fire Extinguisher? Didnt relise that was a factory option?

13. Lukeybabes Forum Member

It's not but I think that is an acceptable mod to any car.

14. notenoughtime

How much was the first aid kit?

15. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

An acceptable mod soon turns into slamming it, engine swap and some new wheels ;)

16. Lukeybabes Forum Member

30, They used to be 70 from ebay guys. But heritage have come out with this one quite recently.

Nah, not gonna happen.

notenoughtime likes this.
  17. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Got the votex warning triangle today and got WAY too upset to find that the seller had pealed off the part number sticker that was shown on it in the advert.
    Messaged him and he managed to find it, and he's gonna send it to me. I hope it just fell off while he was packaging it and isn't going to just send me a load of ripped up bits. Looked like it was ready to fall off in the pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the sticker in question

[​IMG]

18. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Got the sticker from the seller of the warning triangle. Literally made him did it out of his bin. lol. Happy now though.

[​IMG]

Painted the other two wheels over the past couple of days. Can finally take pictures of the other side of the car now.

[​IMG]

19. Gup16v Forum Member

Cool Car! Nice change from the 200+ bhp Mk2s we are all used to seeing lol

20. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Lol yeah for sure. I do have another mk2 with a 20v in it though