Project G28OPN

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by G28OPN, Apr 29, 2014.

1. G28OPN Forum Member

My Golf is a 1989 gti 16v with 121,000 miles on the clock. A small bumper model in tornado red. Currently pink.
    I found it in my mates garage forecourt/yard as a standard car but in a sorry state and full of water and slowly rotting away. Before that, it had sat in a lock up for 4 years until the guy lost his storage and had to sell it. It wasnt running and needed a new fuel pump, exhaust, tyres, suspension and a good service.
    I had to use a rug doctor to suck up and get rid of all the water before cleaning it up. It took days to dry out!
    Initially I intended to get it up and running before selling it on. Guess not! lol
    Four years or so on, ive done an ABFengine swap/rebuild which started off quite bad. Check out "9a pistons in abf block". It turned out pretty good in the end though. It was originally on k-jet before I stuck on some r1 bike carbs. Went well and sounded great. To me anyway! lol
    In the thread mentioned above, someone suggested using a 1y diesel crank and building a stroker engine as the 9a pistons I bought in error sat several mil down from the top of the bores. So I looked into that idea quite abit and the thought of doing it and building a 2.1 (2098cc) engine had been niggling away at me ever since. So this is where im at now. Specs are: Fresh abf block bored to 83.5mm, 1y diesel crank, forged zrp abf rods rebushed to fit 9a wossner high compression pistons. These were lightly skimmed a couple of thou or so to lower compression slightly as it would have been way too high. ARP rod and head bolts used to keep it together and hopefully in one piece.
    The head has been fully reconditioned, ported and polished, and has kent 278/278 cams in with a piper vernier pulley. I also have jenvey 45 dth throttle bodies, dta s40 pro, tsr 4 branch and full stainless scorpion exhaust.
    Black diamond clutch assembly and fully reconditioned 2y gearbox with upgraded diff bolts
    I have also collected many other parts along the way which should make it a pretty nice car. Fingers crossed! lol
    Any questions, comments or suggestions, good or bad, are very much welcome. :thumbup:

David

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. G28OPN Forum Member

[​IMG]URL=http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/G28OPN/media/2012-08-11191543.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG]

The interior is a full edition one reccarro including parcel shelf and speaker supports. Although it looks a little tatty, its pretty much mint. Just needs a wipe down/valet after water leaked through the door membrane and caused alot of mildew etc. The steering wheel is also an original gti engineering one in mint condition. A lucky (for me) ebay find.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  3. G28OPN Forum Member

4. G28OPN Forum Member

[​IMG][/URL[​IMG]

I also have a bin liner full of allsorts, clips, screws, cables, seals etc etc.

5. G28OPN Forum Member

[​IMG]URL=http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/G28OPN/media/20140414_162429.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL[​IMG]

I got off as much of the old paint as possible using a steel brush on a drill before treating it with marine prep and marine clean before painting it in Granville black engine paint.

You may have noticed the engine is currently in my kitchen :o
    I live with my missus of nearly 5 years and still have my house (man cave) which is handy. My kitchen is my engine room and the living room is my interior room. I dont mind, but my bro who stays there sometimes isnt really impressed. Oh well.......

6. G28OPN Forum Member

[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG]

This is most of my little collection of parts that ive been collecting over the past few years, as and when money permits. I have more scattered about including new brake pipes, pre-load valve?? All sorts really.
    Things I still need to get are eibach arb's, powerflex bush set to do the whole car and I need to send my brake callipers to big red.

My gearbox will also be rebuilt and will either have diff bolts put in or have a lsd fitted. Oppinions very welcome :thumbup:
    Either way, I want to keep the current 2y gearbox, I like it.

my main priority is to get the engine built, put in, ran in and mapped. Then it will be onto the chassis for powdercoating and a full rebuild before being sent off for a respray in its original colour. I also intend to buy new seals and glass all round as some have scratces etc.
    All in all its getting there. Progress will be slow as I work on it on my own, aswell as "normal" work, which isnt so bad as I work for myself, but needs must and all that :(

Now I have started my thread, I will add more over the coming days and months. Im hoping it will at least be drivable come july when I turn 25 (40) as I feel a little jealous seeing other mk2's flying around northamptonshire which arent mine.

7. G28OPN Forum Member

[​IMG]

This is how it currently looks. The wheels to the right will be the so called dailies. They are g60/passatt or whatever banded steelies which are 7j front and 8j rear. I bought them like this, in this colour, but will be having them powdercoated back to their original colour. It currently sits on tsw's which came with the car. The bbs rm's which are standard 6.5j will have new dishes, possibly matching the above and will be going out wheels lol

Anyway, thats all for now. Hope its ok for a first proper thread. Have to go cus my missus keeps waking up and asking what im doing. Basically saying, "turn that s#t off and go to sleep [8(]

David.

Sirguydo, Collie and Toyotec like this.
  8. G28OPN Forum Member

Just in the process of getting some more bits together. One of the things I need is a fuel pressure regulator. Any suggestions? Ebay links would be great. Easy shopping! I was intending to pop over to N-Motorsports but just havnt had the time. And what pressure will I need to run?

Are the sard fpr's any good?

Went for the sytec as suggested in another thread :thumbup:

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  9. G28OPN Forum Member

[​IMG][/URL[​IMG][/URL[​IMG]

I managed to find time to take the engine and gearbox out today. Stripped the engine down and separated the gearbox. Will start to build the new engine up next and the gearbox is being sent off to be reconditioned and have the rivets replaced with bolts.

Currently debating whether or not to just strip all the running gear, subframe, wishbones, brakes etc etc and have them all powdercoated/reconditioned or just get the engine built up, put in and running first then do that at a later date.
    Ive decided to wait until after the summer to have a respray otherwise it wont be seeing the road anytime soon. Getting fed up of driving my vans around, nearly bought a 20v turbo mk2 golf the other day just to have some fun in until this one is done. But, as the missus said, this will never get done lol

Anyway, will post up more pics of progress in the coming days.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    Nige likes this.
  10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Keep em coming :thumbup:

11. G28OPN Forum Member

Will do Eddie. Thanks :thumbup:

12. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Looking goooooood:thumbup:
    If need any bits ask an ill have a look in my goody baglol

13. G28OPN Forum Member

Cheers Mick :thumbup: Its getting there, slowly.
    I might sack myself for a week or two soon so I can get on with it lol
    On a good note, gearbox has gone to get sorted and also found a shop called VRS in northampton, they have a lot to do with vag cars etc, so ordered a full powerflex bush kit, eibach antiroll bars, ebc brake discs and when I go back 2mo, will see about getting vibratechnics rear engine and gearbox mounts too.
    will also be stripping the car and getting everything powdercoated. Will leave the paint work til after the summer and get the car how I want it in the meantime.

Slowly getting there [:D]

14. vr6smith Forum Member

What a shopping spree! So nice when things turn up all shiny and new! Some great bits of kit you've got there!

15. G28OPN Forum Member

Thanks :thumbup: just trying to get everything together and ready. Been collecting parts for sometime now.

16. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Nice project you have going on there mate. :)

Loving the edition one Recaro interior ( my favorite btw ) and the collection of all those lovely new parts.

Looking forward to future updates on this one, so will be watching with interest :thumbup:

17. G28OPN Forum Member

Cheers Richard :thumbup:
    I found the recaros on ebay about 2yrs ago. The guy only lived 5min away which was a bonus! Normally when you want something, its miles away lol
    The only thing im not sure about is the 16v imprint on the head rests? He said they was original but ive never seen any others with it. Or maybe I just havnt noticed.

18. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

G28OPN likes this.
  19. G28OPN Forum Member

Cheers for that richard. Thats a good link. I was always a little unsure about them but now I know. I was quite lucky with them really. Although they look a little messy, they are in really good condition. Just need cleaning from being in storage. The motors work still, no holes or worn bolsters and they came complete including rear parcel shelf and speaker supports. Pretty good find really.

20. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Oh well you won't want any of my bit there all used:cry:

You just keep buying all niiiiice shiny new stuff [:x] I'm not jealous at alllol

When you think you'll be back on the road?:thumbup: