Pulling apart Corrado seat ,bit of a mission.

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by watercooled, Jun 12, 2023.

1. watercooled Forum Member

Disassembly to get drivers seat side and upper bolsters repaired and recovered,have material to repair worn out covers just hope theres enough ?,plenty of work as the bolster foam is pretty bad .
    Find it interesting how these seats are put together completely differant construction and much lighter if Recaro's ,these seats are boat anchors compared.
    Hope to have them ready for repair soon ,cheers.

Attached Files:

2. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Be thankful it isn't a MK7 Fiesta. My son wanted heated seat pads installing and they were a PITA to fit. About 14 metal rings to undo!

3. watercooled Forum Member

IMO it would be the hardest seat to pull apart I've ever seen in a VW and have done a lot of them previously, my plans of taking all the covers off and taking them to my trimmer are dashed,the base was easy enough but the back rest is a real bastard,hidden hog rings and internal springs you can't get a tool on to release and more,best to leave to a pro in this case.
    My reasonings for not continuing are ;
    damage that I could cause,
    I could make it harder for the trimmer due to him not removing it,
    not much I can't fix but need to be sensible and trust my "gut feelings" on this.
    Jeez and to make matters worse is the used cover that the past owner supplied for the repair won't be enough for the repairs so thinking I will use the covering of the rear centre armrest and get him to recover that with a black fabric that is close to being correct after harvesting what I need.

4. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Have you tried to get some more original fabric from someone breaking a Corrado?
    I'm assuming they have fabric seat backs rather than PVC?
    EDIT. Just noted PVC with piping. That's why I like my UV seats
    There is The Corrado Graveyard on Facebook. I'm sure it will cost few quid but you never know.
    I've seen my fill of hog rings 14 per seat to undo and the same to put both sets back together, that makes 56 in total !

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Not a Corrado but when I worked in VW main dealer about 2009 ish on my first day I had to replace the leather seat cover in a Scirocco, sweating much! Made it worse the seat fell off the table I was working on and rippped the base cover too. Balls!

6. watercooled Forum Member

Thanks but none of these being parted out in my country if fact there are few of these on our roads,seats are black fabric but faded to blue on top of the seats looks like a similar material is used on early BMW E28's so may be on to something there.
    Won't know until I talk to my trimmer .