pybus

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by pybus, Dec 30, 2013.

1. pybus New Member

Hello

I'm new to the club and am a "wrinkly" so it may take me a while to find my way around the web-site.

My Mk4 GTI was born in 1997 and I've owned it since 1999 .She's been stored in my garage for the past three years and really has had little use since 1998 ,actually 79600 miles .

What I am about to relate may be useful to some members who haven't used their car for some time.

I decided to put her on the road again from 1st Jan 2014 so had her serviced and M.O.T'd ( new cam belt fitted just to be sure).The day came for the work to be done and she wouldn't start.No buzz from the fuel pump when the ignition was switched on.So 1.checked the fuel pump relay , working o.k.
    2.Checked the pump 20amp fuse o.k. Fed 12v from fuse to fuel pump,pump buzzed .Tried ignition switch.again.NO buzz. Sat down with a cup of tea and thought some more......................My friendly garage owner who used to work for a VW agency suggested that it may be something to do with the alarm .There is an alarm switch sensor under the engine cover .Checked this to find contact corroded .Cleaned contact and hey presto all is now in order.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  2. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

This looks and reads like an advert and being your first and only post will probably get removed by the mods. Just a heads up incase you are a genuine new user. I also don't believe anything you've written about your alarm fault. There's no alarm sensor under the engine cover. The alarm (unless not a factory one) is more of an immobiliser and is integrated into the ECU, the instrument cluster and the key

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  3. pybus New Member

4. pybus New Member

Sorry If caused you a problem with my first post. What do you mean when you say you dont believe anything I've written re.my alarm fault ? Am telling you what I found and so resolved the problem .There is a "switch" under my engine lid which has been there since I bought the car in 1999 and looks as if it was fitted professionally .I cleaned the contacts and all is now well.
    Will try to remove my first post so it will not cause any further anxiety.

5. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

What you've said about your alarm problem isn't really the issue, it's the fact you've now made two threads heavily endorsing an insurance company, it's looks a bit suss when you've only four posts to your name. If I didn't know any better it looks like you have something to do with the company and are effectively trying to advertise for free. We have insurance companies on here who pay to advertise. If you want to do so you'll need to do it the correct way and get in contact with one of the forum moderators

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Hi and welcome to Clubgti.

I will ask the mods to move this in the welcome section if it is ok with you?

Regarding your questions, could you take a picture of the suspected switch and post it on here please.
    Is your MK4 GTI a 20vT?
    Have you done any fault interrogation from the diagnostic port?